Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:57 pm

I fish in deep clear reservoirs and the need for braided line is usually never necessary.

I have several rods rigged with braid and they see the light of day, but I really still fish straight FC or nylon.

Even when it came to using a FC leader, just having another point of failure at the knot, especially one where you have a braided line cutting against ur leader, is always is in the back of your mind.

I'm sure it's a huge game changer where guys can fish it straight, or are battling a lot of soft structure. Our reservoirs out here are big ole 5 gallon jugs of drinking water.

No wonder Aaron Martens learned how to drop shot using 5 pound test out here.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:31 am

As a Florida resident I use lots of braid because of the heavy vegetation. I recently found while using my favorite copoly line Suffix Advantage that it broke off twice on heavy hooksets when fishing shiners. I was using 20lb Adavantage as leader with 20lb braid via a back to back uni. Both breaks occured at or near the hook using a polamar knot. The breaks were impact breaks from the actual hook set. The same line broke when tied to a jig by my buddy down in Mexico. Copolys do not have the same strength as straight mono on hard hook sets. once I switched to big game in 15 or 20lb as a leader the impact breaks never occured again. The copoly lines never failed me on treble hook baits where I use more of a sweep set hook set. So my advice to others is don't use a copoly line for single hook applications requiring hard hook sets.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:30 am

dhottle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:31 am
...my favorite copoly line Suffix Advantage...broke off twice on heavy hooksets when fishing shiners. I was using 20lb Advantage as leader with 20lb braid.... The breaks were impact breaks from the actual hook set.
Sufix advertises its Advance monofilament as having "only half the stretch of a standard monofilament line." That could be a benefit for anglers like poster DarkShadow when fishing deep in his clear reservoirs with a nylon monofilament main line. It is not a benefit if using the line as a leader for braid when heavy hooksets are expected, as it would have less shock resistance than most nylon lines--especially when compared to Trilene Big Game, which is made to be shock resistant.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:18 pm

dhottle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:31 am
As a Florida resident I use lots of braid because of the heavy vegetation. I recently found while using my favorite copoly line Suffix Advantage that it broke off twice on heavy hooksets when fishing shiners. I was using 20lb Adavantage as leader with 20lb braid via a back to back uni. Both breaks occured at or near the hook using a polamar knot. The breaks were impact breaks from the actual hook set. The same line broke when tied to a jig by my buddy down in Mexico. Copolys do not have the same strength as straight mono on hard hook sets. once I switched to big game in 15 or 20lb as a leader the impact breaks never occured again. The copoly lines never failed me on treble hook baits where I use more of a sweep set hook set. So my advice to others is don't use a copoly line for single hook applications requiring hard hook sets.
Ive had a completely different experience with copolymer line, P-Line CXX specifically. I couldn't break it no matter what I did. I set the hook on a stump once with 17# CXX (with 7' heavy power rod) and I couldn't break it off no matter what I did. It just wouldn't break. I had to cut the line at water level after trying for 5 minutes by hand, directly over the stump, and actually pulling the front of the jonboat down almost to water level. My braid scissors actually jammed while trying to cut it. Another time, I hung up on a stump with the same line and actually strightened out the hook on a sk hack attack jig trying to break it off. I was blown away with how tough it was.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:18 pm
Ive had a completely different experience with copolymer line, P-Line CXX specifically. I couldn't break it no matter what I did. I set the hook on a stump once with 17# CXX (with 7' heavy power rod) and I couldn't break it off no matter what I did. It just wouldn't break. I had to cut the line at water level after trying for 5 minutes by hand, directly over the stump, and actually pulling the front of the jonboat down almost to water level. My braid scissors actually jammed while trying to cut it. Another time, I hung up on a stump with the same line and actually strightened out the hook on a sk hack attack jig trying to break it off. I was blown away with how tough it was.
Very interesting. I've used P Line FloroClear for 25 years, because I liked it in the late 90s, and I bought 3,000 yards spools of 8lbs, 10lbs 12lbs and 15lbs. So, when I went to Mexico for the first time, I bought a 25lbs P Line FloroClear, and it broke more than I wanted to see. Then, for the 2nd trip to Mexico, I used 25lbs Sunline Supernatural with the same result. That's why I started using 55lbs braded lines. The next best thing was 22lbs Sunline Defier. It didn't break like other mono/copolymer lines.

Never used P Line CXX. If you can't break it like you said, I would be very interested.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:13 pm

CXX is a whole different animal. I have used it as a mainline and have been using it as my primary leader line for several years now. Incredibly tough stuff.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:03 am

I fish 50lb braid to 20lb fluoro leader, and haven't had a break off in the three+- years I've been fishing that combo.
No matter which braid, I use Sunline saltwater leader system FC100 fluorocarbon. It is designed to be used as a leader for salt water fishing.
I heard about it on the Tactical Bassin facebook page three+- years ago, and have been using it ever since.
I recently hung a chatterbait up in a bunch of tules, and my partner had to reach down to the bait with his fishing pliers and cut the fluoro just above the bait, so he could get his pliers onto the bait and pull it free. Even with 50lb braid and a direct pull, I couldn't get the fluoro to break.
I use an improved Alberto knot to join the two lines, and a Trilene knot to tie the fluoro to the bait.
It works, day in and day out.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Now, I have a few lines for leaders to check out, though I don't use fluoro, so I need to find something that floats from Sunline. For the last 15 years or so, the best one I found was Defier. I use it as leaders.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:15 pm

MK49 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:51 pm
Thanks for the info, guys. Now, I have a few lines for leaders to check out, though I don't use fluoro, so I need to find something that floats from Sunline. For the last 15 years or so, the best one I found was Defier. I use it as leaders.
Almost any 20lb mono will work, because mono stretches a bit.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:15 pm
MK49 wrote:
If you like Defier, try the Defier Armilo...a bit stiffer, but stronger and more abrasion resistant and less stretch than original Defier mono.

Maxima Ultragreen is another tough as nails and very strong mono that is great as a leader.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:50 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 pm
mark poulson wrote:
MK49 wrote:
If you like Defier, try the Defier Armilo...a bit stiffer, but stronger and more abrasion resistant and less stretch than original Defier mono.

Maxima Ultragreen is another tough as nails and very strong mono that is great as a leader.
Thanks. I didn't even know about Armilo. I've been using 19lbs Defier as leaders, and 13lbs for more finesse things. Yeah, I know most people use 6lbs or 8lbs for finesse, but my main lake has lots of little sticks, and 13lbs leader is actually thinner than I like. I'm always feel unsafe with the 13lbs. Maybe, I should buy 13lbs Defier Armilo. I checked the size of the 13lbs Defier and Armilo, and they have the same diameter. So, if it's tougher, that would be nice. The color looks kind of weird, though.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:33 pm

MK49 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:50 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:32 pm
mark poulson wrote:
MK49 wrote:

Thanks. I didn't even know about Armilo. I've been using 19lbs Defier as leaders, and 13lbs for more finesse things. Yeah, I know most people use 6lbs or 8lbs for finesse, but my main lake has lots of little sticks, and 13lbs leader is actually thinner than I like. I'm always feel unsafe with the 13lbs. Maybe, I should buy 13lbs Defier Armilo. I checked the size of the 13lbs Defier and Armilo, and they have the same diameter. So, if it's tougher, that would be nice. The color looks kind of weird, though.
The color won't negatively effect anything...and I agree, 13lb Defier is a bit thin unless you're in open water. For tossing 1/4-3/8 poppers it is fantastic.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:32 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:33 pm
The color won't negatively effect anything...and I agree, 13lb Defier is a bit thin unless you're in open water. For tossing 1/4-3/8 poppers it is fantastic.
Thanks agian. :D I wasn't sure if the color was too weird or not.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:24 am

For spinning setups, braid was a major improvement for me. Started using 7lb and 8lb straight fluorocarbons, and dealt with a lot of management issues. Switched to light braids and it increased sensitivity, improved management, increased casting distances, allowed lighter lures to go further, etc. I am sure hollow body frog fisherman loved braid and it made a perfect line for them, but for me I don't use it much on casting reels.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:26 pm

Yes it was. I can remember when Spiderwire was introduced. I used it for heavy spinning in deep shoreline areas. While this enabled me to put more line of a heavy lb test on a spinning reel I did experience a lot of cut offs when big fish were hooked. For spinning reels for smaller fish, under 10lbs, braid was a Godsend. I remember buying tons of Fenwick IronThread in the 8lb to 20lb range and the line was exactly what was needed. Fast forward to today. Still using entirely braid except for the heaviest applications from rocky cliff areas. Casting 8oz lead using 60lb hollow with wind on leaders. Sure helps having 300-400 yards of 30-60lb line on spinning reels from sandy shorelines.