Stiff/wirey braid for slack line sensitivity

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Stiff/wirey braid for slack line sensitivity

Post by bl8ant » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:37 pm

Everyone claims fluoro excels in slack line sensitivity due to it's stiffness and I'm wondering if anyone can name a few of the stiffest—least supple—braided lines out there that might bridge the gap between average braid and fluoro for the purpose of enhanced slack line bite detection. Looking for 30-50lbs variants for pitching jigs around laydowns.

Thanks!

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Stiff/wirey braid for slack line sensitivity

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 pm

Fireline Ultra 8. That's the answer.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:00 am

Thanks! When I searched this forum that was the answer I came up with too. 30lbs test is a touch light for me around wood but perhaps with it's better abrasion resistance I could get by. Not sure if Berkley FireLine Super Line and Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 are one and the same because on Tacklewarehouse there doesn't see to be a distinction. Odd.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley ... e-FBG.html

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 pm

Fireline's strength weighs in well above what its listed at. I'd try a spool and order something with the same diameter as the braid you're used to. 30lb for instance feels like cable and would fish wood just fine.

shadybanks
Angler
Angler

Post by shadybanks » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:28 am

Last year my buddy turned me onto Cortland Silent Flip. It's a 16 carrier braid and super smooth and quiet going through guides.

The bad thing is it only comes in two sizes 50 or 65 lb and only 100 yard spools. I have only tried the 50lb. To me, the 50lb feels closer to the 40lb in some other braids that I have.

I have used the 50 lb for everything from frogs, topwaters, spoons to pitching and punching and it has held up great. I use it around wood a lot with no problems so far.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:46 am

Even the softest and worst braids will still be more sensitive than the best fluorocarbon out there, especially with slack line situations. I use 90% fluorocarbon, and only braid on spinning reels.

Recently I tried some of the Berkley X9 in 6lb flame green, unbelievably thin line. I haven't used the heavier tests, but it seems slick, smooth, strong, and most of all THIN.

Fireline yielded me good results, I used the original non fused version. Our local Wal-Mart had it on clearance 10 years ago or so, I bought a few spools for $5. I caught a personal best largemouth at the time using the 4lb, and it is still on my dad's reel till this day. The old version had that flat tape worm feel similar to Nanofil, but I think the new version people are suggesting to you is improved.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:46 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:46 am
Even the softest and worst braids will still be more sensitive than the best fluorocarbon out there, especially with slack line situations. I use 90% fluorocarbon, and only braid on spinning reels.

Recently I tried some of the Berkley X9 in 6lb flame green, unbelievably thin line. I haven't used the heavier tests, but it seems slick, smooth, strong, and most of all THIN.

Fireline yielded me good results, I used the original non fused version. Our local Wal-Mart had it on clearance 10 years ago or so, I bought a few spools for $5. I caught a personal best largemouth at the time using the 4lb, and it is still on my dad's reel till this day. The old version had that flat tape worm feel similar to Nanofil, but I think the new version people are suggesting to you is improved.
I appreciate you responding, my experience however—on the slack line front—has me believing that fluorocarbon has the advantage in slack line sensitivity on account of it's stiffness. That said, all but one of my casting setups are spooled with braid mostly because it's more manageable. I'm hoping a stiff braid could be a compromise I'm willing to live with.
Last edited by bl8ant on Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:48 am

shadybanks wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:28 am
Last year my buddy turned me onto Cortland Silent Flip. It's a 16 carrier braid and super smooth and quiet going through guides.

The bad thing is it only comes in two sizes 50 or 65 lb and only 100 yard spools. I have only tried the 50lb. To me, the 50lb feels closer to the 40lb in some other braids that I have.

I have used the 50 lb for everything from frogs, topwaters, spoons to pitching and punching and it has held up great. I use it around wood a lot with no problems so far.
That's more carriers than the U.S Navy! :P

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:33 am

bl8ant wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:46 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:46 am

I appreciate you responding, my experience however—on the slack line front—has me believing that fluorocarbon has the advantage in slack line sensitivity on account of it's stiffness. That said, all but one of my casting setups are spooled with braid mostly because it's more manageable. I'm hoping a stiff braid could be a compromise I'm willing to live with.
After thinking on it deeper I see what you are saying. If you tap a garden hose (stiffer material) it should transmit feel better than tapping a soft braided rope line. Maybe the braid softens the micro vibrations? My way of thinking is that you rarely feel a slack line hit without reeling in some line or lifting to rod to remove slack. For that reason, I felt braid was still superior due to no stretch.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:18 pm

I don't understand how a zero stretch, limp braid while completely slack can offer any feel at all. Stick with fluoro unless you are a seriously dedicated line watcher, and don't fish in the wind.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:26 pm

Braid is more sensitive on a tight line, regardless of whether a fluoro/copoly/mono is on a slack or tight line.

Quality fluoro, generally speaking, will be superior on a slack line for sensitivity due to the density and stiffness of the material, which helps to transmit vibrations/feel.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:35 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:26 pm
Braid is more sensitive on a tight line, regardless of whether a fluoro/copoly/mono is on a slack or tight line.

Quality fluoro, generally speaking, will be superior on a slack line for sensitivity due to the density and stiffness of the material, which helps to transmit vibrations/feel.
Indeed

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:57 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:33 am
My way of thinking is that you rarely feel a slack line hit without reeling in some line or lifting to rod to remove slack.
That's true until you move to a certain class of rods.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 am

One should feel the lack of tension hit at some point. Even a the line moving through the water should transmit some feel. Or in the end one doesn't feel any lure contact.

Hence thicker braid will feel more than thinner braids.

Not that there's any scientific tests to validate the following but...I feel that YGK SS112 has some strange feeling of feeling way better in terms of feeling to lure contact. Just kind of noisy on the casting and retrieve. What strangely amazing is also Sufix 131 G-Core feels better than Sufix 832 Advance. Mostly because 832 is fluffy large even though it's a fave of mine for a long time.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:58 am

slipperybob wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 am
Not that there's any scientific tests to validate the following but...I feel that YGK SS112 has some strange feeling of feeling way better in terms of feeling to lure contact.
Because it is a sinking braid with negative buoyancy - i.e. it's more dense than traditional braids likely due to the inclusion of ester or some other material in the makeup.
slipperybob wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 am
Just kind of noisy on the casting and retrieve.
Because it's a 4-strand braid and more coarse on its surface
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"