Braid to Leader - what's your knot of choice?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!

Braid to Leader - what's your knot of choice?

FG Knot
37%
Uni to Uni / Double Uni
17%
Troop / Blood Knot
1%
Albright
6%
Alberto / Improved Albright
36%
Lazy Alberto
3%
Midnight
No votes

Total votes: 78

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid to Leader - what's your knot of choice?

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:41 am

i'm not sure what know i'm using is called. it's like the albright or alberto, but i just wind up 10 wraps, then come back thru and improve it with 2 extra turns around the leader loop.

i've tried braid multiple times with spinning and just could never get a feel for it. i'm using it now on a bfs set up, and actually like it for that. it's 10# braid/6# mono so the knots are small enough to get thru the guides easily. i'm running a 12'-15' leader so it's coming onto the reel but i'm not not having any problems.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 am
I use a knot a friend showed me. It's a single uni with the fluoro and an Alberto with the braid. Tied this way, both tag ends exit the knot towards the reel rather than one of them facing away from the reel and potentially causing the knot to hang up on a guide. He doesn't have a name for it but his name is Dan so I guess it's Dan's knot 8-)
This knot has piqued my interest. Are there any illustrations available? Thanks

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:43 am

aqua71 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 am
adam lancia wrote:
I use a knot a friend showed me. It's a single uni with the fluoro and an Alberto with the braid. Tied this way, both tag ends exit the knot towards the reel rather than one of them facing away from the reel and potentially causing the knot to hang up on a guide. He doesn't have a name for it but his name is Dan so I guess it's Dan's knot 8-)
None that I know of sadly. I did a video screen capture of his demonstration but that won't upload here. I'll send you a PM.

sbd3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sbd3 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:13 pm

I voted FG but I've recently revisited the blood knot after over a decade and I'm really liking it, it could be one of the most underrated knots for braid to leader. It has the same strength as the back to back uni (they tied [pun intended :D ] on the old berkley knot wars series) but is smaller and it glides through guides better due to both tags exiting the knot perpendicular to the main lines. Fyi it is designed for two lines very close in diameter.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:43 am
aqua71 wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
None that I know of sadly. I did a video screen capture of his demonstration but that won't upload here. I'll send you a PM.
Great, thanks. Looking forward to your PM.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:39 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am
adam lancia wrote:
aqua71 wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, I'm on top of it man 😂

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:33 am

adam lancia wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:39 pm
aqua71 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:41 am
adam lancia wrote:
aqua71 wrote:
adam lancia wrote:
I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, I'm on top of it man 😂
That's strange, I never got your PM.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:18 pm

aqua71 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:33 am
Is your inbox full?

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:49 am

adam lancia wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:18 pm
aqua71 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:33 am
Is your inbox full?
No, my inbox is not full. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'll send you a PM to see if that works.

huluman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by huluman » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:34 am

Personally, the Crazy Alberto is my favorite. it Cinches really tightly and hold securely...

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:14 pm

Stump jumper wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:08 pm
No one ever seems to talk about a J knot. It’s hard to tie with a long leader, but I only have to do it once. It easily lasts a full day of tournament fishing, and I’m talking Great Lakes/St Clair smallmouth fishing…. Where you catch a LOT in a day and big ones too.
I use the J Knot when tying Nanofil (4-8 lb. test) to leaders of similar strength. Started doing that after reading some posts that Nanofil was too slippery for some leader knots (which I never bothered to confirm). It is very reliable. Not as thin as an FG knot, but with line diameters this small the J knot goes through guides just fine, and it's faster to tie.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:34 am

Improved Alberto = strongest
Lazy Alberto/Shin Fukae = finesse thin lines
Uni to uni = easiest in low light and windy conditions
FG = most streamlined and uniform
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bulldog1935
Angler
Angler

Post by bulldog1935 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:09 am

I've been rolling Allbright knots for 45 years of fly-line-to-backing.
One day in the surf, kept hearing a click toward the end of my cast - it was my backing knot - I was shooting the full 110' fly line + 30' of backing.

For braid to leader, Improved Allbright was a no-brainer for me. If you tighten the knot incorrectly, you can damage braid FEP coating.
The algorithm to tighten it correctly begins with remembering the direction you wrapped the loops.
After first snugging all four lines, begin tightening the braid tag while you roll the loops in the same direction you wrapped them. Before it's completely tight, pull the leader tag to draw the leader bend into the loops. Finish-tighten the braid tag, and final tighten by pulling the standing lines.
I always wet my finished knot with pink-label Zap CA+

To show how clean this knot, that's a small tip guide in the photo.