Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier Discontinued

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier Discontinued

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:53 am

For Fireline - Thermally Fused Tough

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/collect ... ne-1292708

I thought the Ultra 8 Carrier was the gonzo option. They nixed the original instead and rebranded Ultra 8 into just “Fireline.”

I’m a happy camper. I liked Ultra 8 Carrier a lot, original Fireline was just okay for me. I liked other braid options better than original Fireline. The “new” Fireline (Ultra 8 Carrier) is different enough from most, if not all, superlines, which is nice to continue this option.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier Discontinued

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:00 am

Original Fireline broke at twice or more of its labeled strength, at least in the lower rated strengths. Have you an idea how the fused Ultra 8 compares in this regard?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:41 am

It’s fairly thick, IMO. Guesstimate a breaking close to twice it’s labeled strength is likely pretty darn close.

I’ve heard it labeled as a cross between original Fireline and Nanofil. I’d have to agree with that, as well. It doesn’t get nearly as fuzzy as original Fireline. Quieter through the guides and casts further than original. Not sure on overall abrasion resistance, as I always knot-in a leader. Crazy Alberto’s aren’t enough with this line, really need to FG it. Haven’t tried a GT with it yet…

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Thanks for both your original post and this informative followup. Glad to hear there is less fuzzing, might give this line a try.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:51 pm

I've been using Ultra 8 quite a bit recently, if the new Fireline is just a rebrand I'm happy. AFAIK the advertised break strengths are because of knot strength, not the actual break strength (which is way higher). Never had an issue with that since the leaders I run are always of similar or lower break strength.

Never dared an FG knot because of how slippery the line is, maybe I should try. Been using a simple double-uni with 6-7 loops instead, with such small diameter it's easily slipped through the guides.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:24 pm

I never tried the uni to uni. Since I learned the FG, the line has come back in my favor. The crazy Alberto just didn’t cut it for me. The knot would slip after a while. I’ve had no issues yet with the FG.

I really like the stiffness and body to the old Ultra 8/New Fireline. Especially on spinning reels, but broken-in on a baitcaster is quite formidable. Little unruly and little more thumb until it breaks-in.

Seems like the specs are the same and the description is virtually the same. I need to pick some up to confirm!