YGK X-Braid Upgrade; Varivas Avani…

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

YGK X-Braid Upgrade; Varivas Avani…

Post by jrk » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm

I’m in the process of trying out the former, in PE 1.5 on my spinning set ups. I tried 1.0, and although I’m sure it’s perfectly strong enough for what I do, I just couldn’t manage the line that well with my old eyes and fumbling hands. 1.5 seems to be better in that regard, and so far I’m impressed. I’m giving thought to running PE 2.0 on my casting.
I’ve been reading about the latter lately and hear good things about it, but most reviews are rather old. It’s pricey, but don’t mind as if I like it, it’ll be on my reels for a long time.
Was hoping you guys, gals out there that I’ve tried both of these on both spinning and casting and varying sizes could chime in and provide opinion on what you like better from a casting distance perspective as well as line manageability perspective. I am 50% inshore and 50% smallmouth as well as largemouth freshwater, and like a quiet line that does well in shedding water and gives me better distance for my sight fishing.

Appreciate your time and thoughts

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: YGK X-Braid Upgrade; Varivas Avani…

Post by DrPerf » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:46 pm

I have been using the YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 for three years and and exclusively for the past two years in 16#, 30#, 40#, 45# and 50# for both spinning and baitcasters with primarily a fluoro leader and in some instances a mono leader. I prefer that braid over many others that I tried, several of which are excellent product. But the small diameter to strength, plus excellent manageability of YGK makes it my braid "of choice'.

Based on discussion with some knowledgeable folks "in the trade", I decided to try Varivas Avani Casting PE Max Power X8 in 48# since it was on sale at a great price. I have only used the line on a single trip so far, but pretty happy with its performance. But YGK will continue to be my primary braid.

The past six months I have also begun using YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid (14#, 16# and 20#) for some 'sinking'/bottom contact applications. Very happy with the line's performance to date.

Regards,
Doc

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks Doc.
As soon as Jun get's more 300m spools of 30 and 40 YGK X-Braid Upgrade back in stock, I'm going to try 40 on my new Lexa TW 300 that I use on a 10.5' Century 1265 to throw 1.5 - 2oz Sting Silvers. I'm hoping this will work out well.
I've been interested in the same Varivas line you recently purchased, and am very curious as to how it works out for you.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:25 am

The YGK G-Soul, in the 'larger' diameter, can be a tad "springy', but nothing like fluoro/mono. I always treat all lines with KVD Line and Lure Conditioner and seems to 'smooth' out those larger diameter lines.

That conditioner also extends the life of the line, even braid. I am using some YGK that was purchased over two years ago. A couple of reels are spooled with Daiwa Samurai that is ten years old and still catching fish with never a breakoff.

Regards,
Doc

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:49 am

Thanks again Doc.
I noticed the same when comparing 1.0 to 1.5.

At very casual observation, it would seem the YGK is a bit more rounder than the Varivas Avani…the former almost resembling lime green mono.