Uses for Copoly?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jlang95
Angler
Angler
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by jlang95 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am

njbasscat wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 am
No issues with breakage. Be careful tying your knots and you will be ok. If you get a bad backlash, that could cause issues because heat caused by friction can create weak spots in the line. One you get used to casting with it, you shouldn't have any issues. The sensitivity depends on the line. Easy casting soft fluorocarbon is less sensitive than hard fluorocarbon. Hard fluorocarbon will also be more abrasion resistant. Fluorocarbon sensitivity is great for slack line presentations. I've been using it for years and the stuff today is vastly superior than what we had 10 or 12 years ago.
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?

User avatar
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by njbasscat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:59 am

jlang95 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am
njbasscat wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:58 am
No issues with breakage. Be careful tying your knots and you will be ok. If you get a bad backlash, that could cause issues because heat caused by friction can create weak spots in the line. One you get used to casting with it, you shouldn't have any issues. The sensitivity depends on the line. Easy casting soft fluorocarbon is less sensitive than hard fluorocarbon. Hard fluorocarbon will also be more abrasion resistant. Fluorocarbon sensitivity is great for slack line presentations. I've been using it for years and the stuff today is vastly superior than what we had 10 or 12 years ago.
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?
Yes. Everything except what I discussed previously.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by Houndfish » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 am

jlang95 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?
Anything would be better than braid for slack line stuff, it’s completely dead once you lose tension.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5373
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 am
jlang95 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?
Anything would be better than braid for slack line stuff, it’s completely dead once you lose tension.
That's a moot point if you're a line watcher like me. On slack braid, it will literally jump even with a tiny bump from a fish.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by Houndfish » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:41 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am
That's a moot point if you're a line watcher like me. On slack braid, it will literally jump even with a tiny bump from a fish.
True, but wind and current can make that harder. Plus I just love feeding that little twitch.

User avatar
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:39 am

jlang95 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?
Braid is also dead in my hands for any slack line techniques. Fluoro is the only option unless there's grass or any vegetation.

Try Sunline Shooter. It's my favorite fluoro at the moment, but keep in mind that it will be more stiff and prone to backlash than the average fluoro.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4258
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by Johnny A » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am
Houndfish wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 am
jlang95 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:31 am
More sensitive than braid for slack line presentations? What fluoro do you use?
Anything would be better than braid for slack line stuff, it’s completely dead once you lose tension.
That's a moot point if you're a line watcher like me. On slack braid, it will literally jump even with a tiny bump from a fish.
As long as the line is taut ... but we’ve been here before ... :roll:

User avatar
casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:30 am
Location: palatine,il

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by casterus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:22 am

For slack line fluoro is the best. I can feel tap. With braid i can see movement when there is no wind. In windy conditions nono.
My only copoly application is top water.
Adam

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by russ57 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:20 am

I've also had issues with break offs but it must be due to my poor knots. I may switch to copoly this year but its feels odd to put cheap line on a nice setup.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:09 am

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by Warhawk » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:27 am

I use Copoly for almost everything. Yozuri is my go to, but getting hard to find in 4# so I'm experimenting there.

montey
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Uses for Copoly?

Post by montey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:55 pm

I use McCoy clear and mean green for top water, and crankbaits for bass, and also for spinnerbaits when fishing for pike.
I also use it as a leader on braid too.

Post Reply