12# sniper?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

12# sniper?

Post by Obz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 am

I haven't found a great 12# flourocarbon line for skipping weightless plastics. Berkeley vanish, Berkley 100%, invisx, and sunline assassin are what I have tried so far. I get the occasional overrun, it creates a weak spot and the line snaps very easy. Funny thing is I don't have this problem with 14#,15#,or 16# in any of the FC I have tried. Ok, you might say don't use FC but I like to skip with either my jerkbait rod or tube rod and I run FC on both, I also want to feel slackline bites. Could sniper be the answer, do I need to spend 50 on a spool of tatsu or are my ideals set to high?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 12# sniper?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 am

Sniper works for me.

Oddly enough, I prefer skipping with FC vs braid. Idk what it is but, I feel there are less problems. An issue is, when there is a problem outside of a small amount of loose line, it is major and usually cannot be undone.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:45 am

The two keys to fluorocarbon are to be very gentle when you pull out backlashes, and to really wet your knots. You are probably at the threshold of the breaking strength of 12 lb. Sniper with the equipment that you are using after it has been kinked. Use a lighter rod, lighter drag setting, or go up a line size. It will rarely end well with any fluorocarbon if you are yanking out your backlashes. Be careful, or throw the line away after you wrench on a backlash. Patience is your friend! ;)

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:08 am
Sniper works for me.

Oddly enough, I prefer skipping with FC vs braid. Idk what it is but, I feel there are less problems. An issue is, when there is a problem outside of a small amount of loose line, it is major and usually cannot be undone.
Ight, so spending double on tatsu probably won't save the day. I thought losing more line than usual might just be the cost of admission. I'll give sniper a try see if there is an improvement.
toddmc wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:45 am
The two keys to fluorocarbon are to be very gentle when you pull out backlashes, and to really wet your knots. You are probably at the threshold of the breaking strength of 12 lb. Sniper with the equipment that you are using after it has been kinked. Use a lighter rod, lighter drag setting, or go up a line size. It will rarely end well with any fluorocarbon if you are yanking out your backlashes. Be careful, or throw the line away after you wrench on a backlash. Patience is your friend! ;)

I figured out the overruns were the problem pretty quick, from then on paid close attention to all my overrun/backlashs. In my experience there is a bubble between 12 and 14. At 14 the line doesn't seem 'fold' from the overrun itself. Another factor could be I prefer stiffer lines at higher pound test for bottom contact/skipping jigs. So 14# shooter is stiffer less likely to fold from an overrun and the softer FC I like at lower poundage more likely? Funny how mulling it over a bit will help with insight. I run a grigsby like FC knot, don't have problems with it. I'm not ready to bump the poundage up yet, open to other 12# flouro suggestion just kinda had my sights set on sniper wondering how y'all like it.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:05 pm

toddmc wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:45 am
X2 on pulling backlashes out. If you have < shape crimps in the after pull the backlash out, you're going to have problems.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 pm

I had a few mysterious breakoffs with Assassin last year (reviews say it has bad abrasion resistance) so I'm all in on Sniper now. Never had an issue with it and I fish it in 6 (leader line for spinning rod) 10 (jerkbaits), 12 (cranks and some light bottom contact) and 16lb (jigs and heavier texas rigs).

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:48 pm
I had a few mysterious breakoffs with Assassin last year (reviews say it has bad abrasion resistance) so I'm all in on Sniper now. Never had an issue with it and I fish it in 6 (leader line for spinning rod) 10 (jerkbaits), 12 (cranks and some light bottom contact) and 16lb (jigs and heavier texas rigs).
Noice!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35 pm

The sniper has been the ticket. No kinks.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:48 am

i still haven't tried sniper. i've been very happy with assassin in 15# & 17#.

i tried tatsu in 8# on spinning, and it didn't floor me. i was expecting it to handle much better than anything else, but it didn't for me.