Braided line tests

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braided line tests

Post by CheezusCrust » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 am

Some interesting stuff I think you guys should know.

I bought some sunline siglon pe8 in 16 lbs test and tested the breaking point.I did a single san diego jam knot and it broke at around 4-5 lbs.Then I did a double san diego jam knot that means I doubled the line and tied the knot like you normaly would.And it broke at around 14 lbs test.So that GREATLY improved the breaking point of the line.But the line is so thin it breaks very easily.

So I spooled up some 15 lbs power pro I had used once last year.It's basicaly brand new.I tied a single SDJ knot and it broke at 10 lbs.Then I doubled the line and went around the hooks eyelet TWICE.I put a thick wool sock around my hand and pulled hard.The scale was reading 21 lbs and the line was still holding up despite being 6 lbs over it's suggested breaking point.I find that very interesting.I always thought power pro broke under the suggested poundage the manufacturer put on the box.But like many other braided lines I think you need to double the line and go around the hook's eyelet twice otherwise the line will cut into itself being so thin and break.Another thing,I was watching videos on YT of guys testing different braided lines and they all were tyìng single knots.I'm sure the results would have been different if they doubled the line like I did.