Baitcaster Braid Weight?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Baitcaster Braid Weight?

Post by nfnband » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am

Benn using 20# SS braid on my Baitcaster. general purpose 6'6 medium heavy. I typically fish unweighted 5-6" Senkos and 3.75" flippin' hogs. occasional jerks, cranks.

Will i loose distance switching too 30# I'd like to cut back on the line dig which seems to be the cause of most of my back lashing.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Baitcaster Braid Weight?

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm

I'd say yes. The thinner the line the longer the casts, because of weight and resistance cutting through the air.
Also I feel line dig increases with increasing line diameter. I use 10lb braid most of the time and 30lb for pike fishing - even after pulling snags no dig in with the 10lb but some with the 30lb. I assume the thinner braid packs more densely on the spool, getting in the grooves..?

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Smaller diameter braid should cast farther but I still haven't figured out if it's diameter or weave that is the main culprit in line digging in. I use 30lb braid for topwaters like spooks and shower blows and had really good luck with Sufix 832 but I thought I'd try J-Braid. Terrible decision! That J-Braid dug in every other cast. So bad I ripped it off and trashed it after one day.
I've tried the X9 Berkley and Phenix Hydra and they cast well and don't dig in often.
The lines that seem to dig in the least hold a rounder shape as opposed to flattening like floss.
Sorry I can't comment on braid less than 30lb though. That's as light of braid as I normally go on baitcasters.
I bought some 20lb X9 to try on my Alphas Ito, but I haven't got around to putting it on.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:21 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm
I'd say yes. The thinner the line the longer the casts, because of weight and resistance cutting through the air.
Also I feel line dig increases with increasing line diameter. I use 10lb braid most of the time and 30lb for pike fishing - even after pulling snags no dig in with the 10lb but some with the 30lb. I assume the thinner braid packs more densely on the spool, getting in the grooves..?
This is due to higher drag setting on your pike outfit with 30# braid than your general purpose combo with 10# braid. Higher drag settings, coupled with a harder pulling fish, causes more dig-in.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Diawa J-braid 15# braid on the Bantam MGL casts further and with less effort than 20# braid on the Chronarch MGL.
I'm still running 15# Fireline braid on my Metanium MG7.

Most of my lures are 1/4 oz lures...
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 am

Any observations with SSV2 vs SS for baitcaster? I'm not seeing the difference on my spinners.

Line dig, big fish, unfortunately not my problem, fish are rarely over 2# in my local lakes. Lighter line, tighter packing may be worth a try. My current practice is going to the local football field and repacking the spools every so often. I definitely see issues if the level wind is to far off center and the line is a bit loose.

I just bought the New Diawa Coastal, the Saltwater marketed Tatula Elite. My first T wing reel, i guess ill get too see whats really works and whats marketing.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am

nfnband wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am
Benn using 20# SS braid on my Baitcaster. general purpose 6'6 medium heavy. I typically fish unweighted 5-6" Senkos and 3.75" flippin' hogs. occasional jerks, cranks.

Will i loose distance switching too 30# I'd like to cut back on the line dig which seems to be the cause of most of my back lashing.
Daiwa makes reels that are PE ready such as the OG Zillion PE, Morethan PE,.... and they have a faster oscillating line guide that lays the line on the spool in a more pronounced crisscross pattern which prevents line digging....
Don't know about Shimano :-k

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:35 am
nfnband wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am

Daiwa makes reels that are PE ready such as the OG Zillion PE, Morethan PE,.... and they have a faster oscillating line guide that lays the line on the spool in a more pronounced crisscross pattern which prevents line digging....
Don't know about Shimano :-k
The newer reels have a faster level wind oscillation. I have to go back and count the exact wrap pattern but I noticed it comparing the Chronarch D to the Chronarch MGL/G generation.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:08 pm

30# on most of my baitcasters. 40 and 50 on a couple. 20# on baitcasters was finiky in terms of digging for me with my casting motion. plain 30# pp has been a good one for me for last 5 years