Big Braid for Big Baits

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
SouthEastSwimbaiter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Big Braid for Big Baits

Post by SouthEastSwimbaiter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:01 am

I'm new to the big swimbait world and started out throwing 40lb braid to a leader thinking that would be enough. well I was wrong and sent a 8" Hudd sailing after a backlash. I bumped it up to 65lb braid to leader based off of a very trust worthy source. I've backlashed sense the switch and no more baits have gone flying. I want to hear your opinions on throwing heavy braid for heavy baits.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Big Braid for Big Baits

Post by johns » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:47 am

I use 65 b pp with no problems. The biggest I usually throw is a 4.5 oz baby possum and don't use a leader. When you get to those size baits I think the fish don't key into the line. To qualify most of my water is stained.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:44 pm

SouthEastSwimbaiter wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:01 am
I'm new to the big swimbait world and started out throwing 40lb braid to a leader thinking that would be enough. well I was wrong and sent a 8" Hudd sailing after a backlash. I bumped it up to 65lb braid to leader based off of a very trust worthy source. I've backlashed sense the switch and no more baits have gone flying. I want to hear your opinions on throwing heavy braid for heavy baits.
You should've tied on a leader. Braid doesn't have any shock resistance really at all, so there's always a high likelihood that break-offs are going to happen, especially with the sudden type of backlash you get with braid.
This is the way.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Learn the FG knot and tie on a "shock leader" of mono. If i'm not mistaken thats what they do in surf casting with braid in order to add a little give in case things get hairy.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:09 pm

I run 65lb both with and without a leader, usually without. I only have had a single issue without a leader but the braid older and sun bleached and was needing to be changed anyway.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am

The people who actually cast huge baits on braid all day every day (musky fishermen) all use 80# or 100# braid. No need for a shock leader in those sizes. The ppl throwing baits over 10oz regularly pretty much all use 100#. If you’re going with 65# or less, without some amount of shock absorber you’re at risk. The smaller the braid the higher the risk goes up based on whatever lure weight you’re throwing... but also the bigger the braid the higher the visibility and effect on lure action.