BFS and PowerPro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

BFS and PowerPro

Post by Smalleyez » Thu May 23, 2019 10:37 am

I'm just getting into the BFS world and I filled my new Conquest BFS with #15 Powerpro braid. My outfit is casting well and I was surprised how well I could cast a 1/16 oz. Roostertail.

I went with the #15 PowerPro based on the supposedly #4 mono diameter, roundness, etc. All that said, #15 seems like overkill for stream trout. Would #8 PowerPro cast as well or maybe even better than the #15? Suggestions are welcome!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS and PowerPro

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am

Just set the drag light. In reality, are you even gonna need a 8lb strength line? The purpose of braid is its "no stretch" an castability qualities. Dont pay no mind to the test rating, its all in the diameter.
<")))><{

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 am

I use 8, max 10, lb braid on my Conquest BFS and similar BFS reels and my target is trout that weigh 5-10 lb...
I love it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Are you tying on a leader? I use 8# j-braid on my alphas air, but without the benefit of a few feet of 6-8# fluoro leader I'd be afraid to use line that thin. First time you get over zealous and get a sudden braid backlash you're liable to see your bait go flying into Oblivion when the line snaps at either the terminal knot or at the loop on the spool responsible for bringing your cast to an instantaneous halt. Not to mention the utter lack of abrasion resistance...

Like LMG said, it's all about the diameter. If you're fishing straight-no-leader I'd stick with the 15#.
This is the way.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu May 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks for the comments. I’ll stay with the 15, but I won’t be afraid to drop to eight in the future. I just didn’t want to lose any castability. For pure casting performance will the 8 cast about the same as the 15?
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Sun May 26, 2019 8:56 pm

I am currently using 8lb S8S PP and was quite happy with it until I was able to get my hands on some 2lb Nanofil. The smaller diameter made quite a difference in casting distance with light lures (less than 2g.) I have a 16 Aldebaran BFS with a 16ALD15R spool and also use a 4-5ft fluorocarbon leader. I can only fit around 50yd of the 8lb PP on this spool, so using lighter line will also increase your line capacity and casting distance

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:10 am

I use 8lb powerpro on almost all my BFS reels but 2, 1 has 12lb Gliss and the other has 5lb Sunline Sniper but the other 4 have the powerpro. To answer your question, yes it will cast better with 8lb than it does with the 15.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 am

Thank you, E78.

I've already switched to PP 8#. Although I haven't tried it yet PP-#8 seems to be about perfect for my use, and why compromise with a Conquest BFS? I'll use the PP#15 on another reel.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

MT204
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by MT204 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 am

Hello all, new to this BFS fishing.
I noticed there are a couple of different versions of PowerPro braid, is there one that is more desired?
Yes I know it's personal sometimes....but.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:04 am

Smalleyez wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 am
Thank you, E78.

I've already switched to PP 8#. Although I haven't tried it yet PP-#8 seems to be about perfect for my use, and why compromise with a Conquest BFS? I'll use the PP#15 on another reel.
I have the Conquest BFS, the 101 and the original 101DC and I have to agree Round Reels are the Best. Glad to hear you made the switch to the 8lb, you will not regret it.
Last edited by Edward78 on Fri May 31, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:13 am

MT204 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:56 am
Hello all, new to this BFS fishing.
I noticed there are a couple of different versions of PowerPro braid, is there one that is more desired?
Yes I know it's personal sometimes....but.
Hello and welcome to the expensive world of BFS =D> as for braids its definitely personal preference and they all have their good and bad points but one thing I always try and do is stay around .12 - .14mm line size for best results, any smaller than .12mm can be a real pain in the butt, especially with the line getting in between the spool and the frame and then wrapping around the spool shaft and jamming everything up. Sufix, Powerpro, J-Braid and even some cheap brands for the most parts all will work just look at the line size, not the weight rating

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri May 31, 2019 5:13 pm

That's great advice and just the kind of specific information I need to get off to a good start with BFS reels. =D>
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 am

At times manufacture label diameter doesn't mean much...when taking two lines from two different brands.

The one listed at .008 mm is sometimes thicker than the one listed at .012 mm. You can feel it and even just eyeball them side by side and notice it.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 am

slipperybob wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 am
At times manufacture label diameter doesn't mean much...when taking two lines from two different brands.

The one listed at .008 mm is sometimes thicker than the one listed at .012 mm. You can feel it and even just eyeball them side by side and notice it.
I agree with this and also what has been said above... Trial and error and sometimes best to buy a line that you have actually held in your hand.
Berkley superline and braid has often been quite “thick” by mm IMO, eg. Whiplash and Black Velvet, while Sufix has been more on target. I use mostly different Sufix and Daiwa in 0.12 mm. For the most shallow spools I may go to 0.10 and for the bigger light spools (eg ZPI NRC001M) perhaps 0.14 mm esp. if targeting bigger fish.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:24 am

I did brake down recently and purchased several spools of highend Varivas and YGK to try mainly for bfs. They seem thinner than what I expected but I have not spooled any reels yet (just briefly looked at the line)...