Gliss & Abrasion Resistance - adjusted expectations relative to other line diameter?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Gliss & Abrasion Resistance - adjusted expectations relative to other line diameter?

Post by ultralight » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 pm

I've heard over and over again about how Gliss casts the proverbial country mile, but has horrible abrasion resistance.

I wonder if the abrasion resistance relates to their overrating their line's breaking strength - and thus increasing expectations? This is what I mean. Gliss 8 lbs, for example, is supposedly 0.10 mm diameter but I measured it by my caliper to be more along the lines of .06mm. Anyways, a 8 lbs Gliss is about 2 lbs diameter of some other braid. Would one still say that Gliss 8 lbs has poor abrasion if we treat it as a 2 lbs test and compare to other 2 lbs instead of expecting it to behave like 8 lbs? OR - lets say Gliss 40 lbs has a diameter more like some 12 lbs braid. If so, if we treat it as 12 lbs braid, would we still say that the abrasion resistance is poor or does it then become more acceptable? I am interested in this line because of its supposed long casting distance.

Curious. Thanks.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Gliss & Abrasion Resistance - adjusted expectations relative to other line diameter?

Post by Edward78 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 am

I think this makes lots of sense, Gliss is very good line when it comes to casting and I use 12# on my BFS reels. It definitely isn't going to hold 12 pounds unless under perfect circumstances. but if I look at it as a 4lb test line the strength isn't bad. Considering all this the abrasion resistance still is some of the worst I have ever seen compared to braid mono and fluoro lines.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Gliss & Abrasion Resistance - adjusted expectations relative to other line diameter?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:10 am

Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me. I have used Gliss(still do on a couple of reels) and it is not very abrasion-resistant. I have used short leaders of mono with good success. I think it is so slick that knots sometimes don't hold like they should, so I always put a tiny dot of gel superglue on my knots. And yes, the casting distance is unreal, plus its quieter thru the guides than mono.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm

I really liked Gliss on my 15 Exist 1025, it casts just like everyone says and I didn't have any issues with abrasion resistance. My issue was the fraying, it was coming apart like yarn after a few full day outings.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Winstondry wrote:I really liked Gliss on my 15 Exist 1025, it casts just like everyone says and I didn't have any issues with abrasion resistance. My issue was the fraying, it was coming apart like yarn after a few full day outings.
I think that the line fuzzing out is part of what everyone calls poor abrasion resistance.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Ah, got it. Again, I really liked the way it performed casting and I never really had any break-offs, but fraying would made it catch the wind and wrap around the tip way too often.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm

I wonder if the fuzzing has to do with the quality of the guides - some guides are smoother/rougher than others.

For those who have 'fuzzing', what guides are on the rod you used with the Gliss?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 am

ultralight wrote:I wonder if the fuzzing has to do with the quality of the guides - some guides are smoother/rougher than others.

For those who have 'fuzzing', what guides are on the rod you used with the Gliss?
The rods I use all have Ti SIC guides.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:06 am

Winstondry wrote:
ultralight wrote:I wonder if the fuzzing has to do with the quality of the guides - some guides are smoother/rougher than others.

The rods I use all have Ti SIC guides.
Ditto.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:31 am

Helpful to know. Can't get a whole lot smoother than the SICs....though Fuji does have a set of $1500 guides made from Rubies. LOL!

rucker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rucker » Fri May 24, 2019 3:48 pm

i never used gliss but i have used nanofil! is gliss a step up from nanofil?