Sufix Advance copoly mono ...

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Sufix Advance copoly mono ...

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 pm

I just spooled up my BFS rig with 6 lb. Anyone here have any thoughts on it ?

I usually run braid mainline with a mono leader on pretty much all of my rigs. I did pretty well using that initially on this rig, but with the tiny guides on the rod (Kuying Teton TTC 662L) I felt the knot would inhibit casting lighter baits. I despise fluorocarbon line but wanted to try something away from straight mono. The Sufix Advance has some intriguing qualities / claims that prompted me to go ahead and give it a shot, namely low memory, good knot strength and half the stretch of mono. Stretch doesn't concern me as much as some here as I do very little contact fishing, I'm more of a moving bait/reaction angler so actually I want a degree of stretch in my line anyhow.

I've been a longtime Sufix user, I hope this performs as well as their other products.
Last edited by uljersey on Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sufix Advance copoly mono ...

Post by Allsorts » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am

We have a pretty good range of Sufix monos available locally and I've increasingly come to think that co-poly monos are seriously under-appreciated for the reasons outlined above. I'm no expert but there are at least 2 basic kinds of mono, the old style Maxima, Berkeley Big Game etc and more recent co-polymers that are pre-streched. To me, this is the key point - the lines are stretched and annealed to give a thinner, lower stretch line which handles well, has good strength at a low diameter and has less of the 'rubber band' nature of the old style monos.

Incidentally, I really like FC as a main line as long as its 5lb or less. Handling gets difficult (especially on spin reels) the further you go over .20mm diameter. When I use FC as a leader only, I use the hard FC material (Maxima is good) as the FC sold as mainline is alloyed to make it easy to handle but reduces abrasion resistance and increases stretch. Hard FC makes a great leader on braid for UL/L applications.

wahoowad
Angler
Angler

Post by wahoowad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm

So the Sufix Advanced copoly is thinner than say the equivalent Sufix mono? I’m planning to buy Sufix Elite (my usual go-to mono) in 10-lb. to respool a couple baitcasters but intrigued to give this copoly a try.

I’m switching back some rods from braid to mono as it just feels better but admit I am really noticing the stretch of mono. I like some stretch, so maybe copoly is a better option for me.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 am

I will be interested to see what you guys make of it. I had a couple of spools of 6lb and liked the line for it's sensitivity and easy handling, but it only lasted half a session before going curly, like it had been dragged across something hard. Switched back to CXX and the line has been fine for months, so it does appear to have been the line, not the rod guides or anything other than the line. I hope I just had a couple of bad spools as other than it's incredibly short life, it was a nice line.

wahoowad
Angler
Angler

Post by wahoowad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 am

I checked the specs and it seems the copoly is the same diameter. For example I compared Sufix Elite 10-lb @ 0.012" and the Sufix Advanced 10-lb was the same.

johnmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by johnmyers » Wed May 01, 2019 5:15 am

Used 8lb Saturday on Stradic 2500hg on NRX 852s JWR and have been using 20lb Smackdown with an 8lb floro leader. It coiled pretty bad and had a lot of stretch. When I spooled it I ran it through a cloth with KVD line conditioner on it and sprayed conditioner on spool. Didn't get casting distance and feel that I thought I would

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sat May 04, 2019 4:16 pm

I've used it on castin gear in 6lb test and it definently coils a lot. It is pretty thick for stated poundage and has less stretch than other monos I've used. I'm not the biggest fan of it.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri May 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Unfortunately I didn't get the results I'd hoped for with this line in my BFS application. The 6 lb was terrible, tried again with 4 and only had marginally better results but still not acceptable. Same experience as some of the other posters on this thread ... too much memory, coiling, poor casting distance, etc.

I won't outright condemn it as it may be fine on a larger setup/spinning/ML or above application but it's definitely a no-go for BFS.

wahoowad
Angler
Angler

Post by wahoowad » Sat May 25, 2019 4:07 am

I’ve had 10lb. on one of my botcasters and it has worked just fine. I haven’t had any issues and in fact don’t even notice any difference between it and the 10 lb. mono on my other baitcaster.