A Good Braid for Spinning Reels...

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

A Good Braid for Spinning Reels...

Post by Reverendo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm

... with great castability, and decent abrasion resistance.
PP Super Slick?
Super Slick V2
Suffix Performance
Suffix 832
Daiwa J-Braid 8 & Grand
Daiwa Samurai...

Go...

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A Good Braid for Spinning Reels...

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Reverendo wrote:... with great castability, and decent abrasion resistance.
PP Super Slick?
Super Slick V2
Suffix Performance
Suffix 832
Daiwa J-Braid 8 & Grand
Daiwa Samurai...

Go...
Abrasion all about the same meaning they all suck.

Castability Sufix Nanobraid is at the top for me and (except for s8s2v and grand) Ive used all you mentioned and a few others.

Favorite no stretch spinning reel line is Nanofil but its not a braid.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 am

i have used sufix nanobraid since it was released (in the US anyways) and have had no problems with 6, 8 and 10lb, it casts and handles great, however has very little abrasion resistance. (nanofil was a coily mess when i tried it, and it broke off alot for no reason so i will not try it again)

same with j-braid (6 and 8lb) casts great and handles well but again little abrasion resistance. i bought a spool of 6lb j-braid grand but have not tested it yet.

super slick wasnt that good to me, lots of fraying, didnt cast as well as the above 2, i did like the brown color though! havent tried the v2 yet.

832 was good line, i used it for a few years in 6 and 10lb, its stiff as hell out of the package but with a little use it breaks in nicely, doesnt cast as well as jbraid or nanobraid, but its not bad, i just prefer the other 2 so i dont use 832 any more .

samurai was always too expensive for me to try. the one expensive braid i did try (seaguar smakdown) was ok but it had a tendency to knot up on me, something i havent had a problem with in other braids, and there was no picking the knots out, it tended to be a very tight knot.

i tend to use nanobraid and jbraid now, i am trying out the new berkley x9 this spring, spooled it up on a couple reels but its been too cold to get out and try it since i got it.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 am

I’m going to have to take a closer look at the Nanobraid and Nanofil as I’m not familiar with either. I’m also curious about the new Daiwa JBraid 8x GRAND. Supposedly it’s not a dyneema based line, but a brand new material.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Now I know why I never noticed Nanobraid. It only goes to 14#.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Non on your list, Vicious No fade braid.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Reverendo wrote:I’m going to have to take a closer look at the Nanobraid and Nanofil as I’m not familiar with either. I’m also curious about the new Daiwa JBraid 8x GRAND. Supposedly it’s not a dyneema based line, but a brand new material.
It's Dyneema tradename renamed as IZANAS.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:11 pm

832 on all my spinning reels

Joebass1977
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Joebass1977 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Best I've tried is Sunline SX1

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 am

How does everyone find the lighter braids holding up at the leader knot? I find that, especially with lighter braids, the line deteriorates really quickly. Would a 4 strand braid hold up better, or is it strictly a function of the light braid?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:32 am

Never used Sufix Nanobraid above 6lb; that being said, the 6lb Nanobraid has been great on a Light powered rod. Throws far, very thin, sensitive (obviously), and no management issues for me. Caught many larger panfish and decent sized bass with the line and it has done amazing.

Sufix 832 has proven itself best to me though. I have used the 8lb, 10lb, 15lb, and even 20lb on spinning throughout the years. The Sufix lines are thicker though, I would normally use a 10lb braid on ML spinning, but stepped down to 8lb and 6lb would have been fine. Their line is thicker and holds strength well because of this; stepping down in test helped me cast equally to other brands.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:38 am

Well I got my hands on a 20# spool of JBraid 8x GRAND. Line feels very soft compared to Sufix Perf. and 832, and even softer than the PP Super Slick. I haven't spooled it yet, but when I do and take it out for a run, I'll post my findings here.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 pm

adam lancia wrote:How does everyone find the lighter braids holding up at the leader knot? I find that, especially with lighter braids, the line deteriorates really quickly. Would a 4 strand braid hold up better, or is it strictly a function of the light braid?
Never had a problem with 10lb 832 connected to 6-8lb leaders

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 am

The whole reason I use a leader or topshot is to reduce the wear and year that comes easily with light braids.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish