Fluoro suggestions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fluoro suggestions

Post by DrPerf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm

toddmc wrote:
DrPerf wrote: Not only will KVD Line Conditioner help with FC 'memory', consistent use will extend the life of good FC. I have Toray Super Hard Upgrade that is 8-10 years old and still "tight and right" after consistent KVD use.
How on earth do you still have enough line left on your reel after 8-10 years? The line conditioner helps, but fluoro, especially Superhard, is not very porous. So, it requires more frequent application than braid or mono. I think that having clean line and guides is more important to my Chi :D . I like to walk out my flouro and reel it through a damp washcloth after fishing in water with much algae. This helps your line performance and longevity quite a bit if you are willing to take the time.
My reels are primarily spooled with braid and fluoro leaders, but there are a couple that are regularly spooled with fluoro and one mono. I do use KVD Line Conditioner regularly and I 'reverse' all my spooled lines every year or so. Every few trips, I 'unwind' and re-spool the line on each reel that I am using.

I keep meticulous records of line purchases, what line is spooled on what reel and when it was spooled, so I know precisely how long line has used.

Doc

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Another sniper fan

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 pm

I went out today with a Steez SV103 spooled from some leftover Tatsu 8# (spinning and FC are not for me). I was impressed. I've been using braid the last couple of years and forgotten how quiet FC (and mono) are through the guides. Didn't have any major professional overruns. Sprayed liberally with KVD LC. Made me consider FC again for bottom contact.

*Rod was a Kistler Light Medium Heavy Fast 7'. Lures were 1/8 shakeyheads, 1/8 Megabass spinner jig head, etc. I did throw on a 3/8 Rapala crankbait and bombed it- did great.

I've got some 7# Shooter Finesse, may put that on a shallow spool and see how it does. And will probably look at that Toray line. :)

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Maxima is under-appreciated. I’ve tested it side by side with Shooter and it was lower stretch for bottom contact hard fluoro types. Sniper and Tatsu are probably the top two in the easy casting types.

Sounds weird but pre-stretching fluoro can take all of the line coil memory out of certain fluorocarbons. Seems like voodoo until you try it yourself.