Sunline Defier Armilo vs Sufix Advance?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sunline Defier Armilo vs Sufix Advance?

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Anyone compare both lines yet?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sunline Defier Armilo vs Sufix Advance?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Nope, but I'm also curious about the Advance

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 am

They have similar product descriptions and are in the same type of line category. I would bet that the Advance is worth a try. Sufix has a lot of loyal followers.
I'm never satisfied unless I try something for myself, even if some don't like the product. What people want in a line is often very different and subjective. This leads to me trying a lot of different lines.
Last edited by toddmc on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Have tried the Sufix Advance in both 8lb and 15lb. Lots of unexplained breakages on the cast especially.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Sore Thumb wrote:Have tried the Sufix Advance in both 8lb and 15lb. Lots of unexplained breakages on the cast especially.
Well that's no good

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm

I tried 6lb advance an it went curly, like it had been dragged over something, after one session. went back to CXX and it was fine, so it was the line and not the rod guides. Shame as it seemed to have some nice properties, but it just didn't like being used!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 pm

I'm a fan of Sufix myself, but I didnt like the Advance. I will stick with Siege. The 8# Seige tested out at 12.2# breaking strength in independent lab tests, and I know from personal experience that you almost can't break off with 17# when you snag a stump on bottom. I partially straightened the hook on a Hack Attack jig with the 17# line once.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dam0007
Angler
Angler

Post by Dam0007 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:36 am

Ran both last year for a few different scenarios. I really really liked the advance as a leader for a few applications especially C Rig. Also I run braid for my top water setup and I tie on about 2ft of 20lb mono for for leader on that. Have had zero issues with it and it likes the knot I use to join braid. I used it in 10 12 14 and 20lb. Previously I used regular defier or super nat for these. I only tried it a handful of times as main line as I typically don’t like mono. It performed great just not my cup of tea in general. Also keep in mind compared to super nat line is way thicker.

Armilo is a totally different line and works good as a main line however it’s stiff and doesn’t like the knot I use joining to braid. So haven’t used it as a leader. Advance is cheap, worth a shot in my book.
CT BASS Nation

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 pm

I am a fan of the Sunline brand. I didn't even realize it until just recently when I started looking at the lines I primarily ended up with on my reels. For mono use I really like the Armilo for most mono applications where I need a line that floats or is a little stiffer than normal mono. I really like it for top water or leaders for worm fishing split shots or carolina rigs.
Sorry I do not have any experience with the Suffix advance.

Lobo
Angler
Angler

Post by Lobo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:47 pm
I don't know about Suffix Advance.
But I went through a spool of Defier Amilo a few years ago , a waist of 19.00 dollars
I tried the 17lb. test , worse line I ever experienced. Stiff , worst as far as casting distance, and a lot of breakage. Some people like it , I certainly don't.
I never used Suffix Advance , but if it's anything like the Elite lots of stretch and memory.
I have been using Shooter Defier for the last 5 years , costly but the best mono period.
If you don't want to spend a lot, I found that Sunline Supernatura 14 -16lb. test is a decent line for the money.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm

Lobo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Finnz922 wrote:
But I went through a spool of Defier Amilo a few years ago , a waist of 19.00 dollars
I tried the 17lb. test , worse line I ever experienced. Stiff , worst as far as casting distance, and a lot of breakage. Some people like it , I certainly don't.
I never used Suffix Advance , but if it's anything like the Elite lots of stretch and memory.
I have been using Shooter Defier for the last 5 years , costly but the best mono period.
If you don't want to spend a lot, I found that Sunline Supernatura 14 -16lb. test is a decent line for the money.
Armillo is naughty in higher lb test, and somewhat so in the lower. OG Defier is still the best of the rest imo.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:45 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm
Lobo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
Finnz922 wrote:
Armillo is naughty in higher lb test, and somewhat so in the lower. OG Defier is still the best of the rest imo.
This is true. I have fished the 11, 13, and 15 Armilo. I just fished the 11lb. a few weeks ago on a SV103 topwater/jerkbait reel that was filled in June. I was surprised at how well the 11lb. still handled after being on my reel that long. The 13 and 15 weren't as good when left on various reels for a long period of time. I would fish another nylon with the heavier sizes.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am

I have fished the Defier Armilo for about two years in 13, 15, 19, 22 & 25lb tests. It's strength & abrasion resistance have been good. It's stiffness & coiling have been problematic as others have mentioned. The fact it has only been available in 165 yd spools adds to its costliness. I searched for a line to replace it & gave Suffix Advance a try. I definitely prefer it for all my mono needs. Advance runs thicker in diameter than Armilo per listed pound test. So I chose to use 14lb & 17lb test to replace 15, 19 & 22 lb test Armilo. The line has worked well. It's claim to be more sensitive with less stretch is acceptable. The abrasion resistance has been good & it is manageable on the reel unlike Armilo. I took it to Mexico for a five day trip and it performed flawlessly for me in 14 & 17 lb test. I highly recommend it. It's available in 330 yd spools which is more economical than the 165 yd spools of Defier Armilo.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm

dhottle wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am
I have fished the Defier Armilo for about two years in 13, 15, 19, 22 & 25lb tests. It's strength & abrasion resistance have been good. It's stiffness & coiling have been problematic as others have mentioned. The fact it has only been available in 165 yd spools adds to its costliness. I searched for a line to replace it & gave Suffix Advance a try. I definitely prefer it for all my mono needs. Advance runs thicker in diameter than Armilo per listed pound test. So I chose to use 14lb & 17lb test to replace 15, 19 & 22 lb test Armilo. The line has worked well. It's claim to be more sensitive with less stretch is acceptable. The abrasion resistance has been good & it is manageable on the reel unlike Armilo. I took it to Mexico for a five day trip and it performed flawlessly for me in 14 & 17 lb test. I highly recommend it. It's available in 330 yd spools which is more economical than the 165 yd spools of Defier Armilo.
How manageable in comparison?

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:40 pm
dhottle wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am
How manageable in comparison?
Twice as manageable. Compared to the Defier the Advance gave me no problems. I was using the 14lb test on a bantam for casting a 1/2 oz popper & other light baits. The 17lb I used on a curado I pg for swimbaits, underspins & crankbaits.