fluorocarbon line shootout

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

fluorocarbon line shootout

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 am

Are you guys going to do another comparison test of the fluorocarbon lines currently available? The first one was very helpful, but every brand has changed so much since it was done that it is kind of meaningless now.
Last edited by mark poulson on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: fluorocarbon line shootout

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:33 am

TTT &

100yd of 20# FC Sniper would be fine for fishing baits up to 3oz on a 7' XH rod, don't you think? That's what a Zillion TWS will hold and that's the reel in 7.3 with a set of Air HD's I'd prefer to use over any other. I think something like a Ryoga 1520 or Luna 203/253 would be overkill, reduce the versatility of the rod for punching, etc, and frankly the Zillion TWS is big enough.
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 am

I'd like to see a new shoot-out on FC as well. I wonder if things have changed or that there are new players on the market since the last one though.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:38 am

I’m interested also

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 am

I would to see break strength tests with different terminal knots. Like the palomar and san deigo jam knot

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 am

basser100 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 am
I would to see break strength tests with different terminal knots. Like the palomar and san deigo jam knot
i was thinking about this the other day, and can't remember the last time i have broke off. it used to happen a lot, but i started inserting the tungsten i use, plus started using what i think is a eugene knot.

i've been using sunline assassin for a couple of years in 17# for jigs & plastics, and 15# red label for spinnerbaits & cranks. i've been very satisfied with both.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:08 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 am
basser100 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 am
i was thinking about this the other day, and can't remember the last time i have broke off. it used to happen a lot, but i started inserting the tungsten i use, plus started using what i think is a eugene knot.

i've been using sunline assassin for a couple of years in 17# for jigs & plastics, and 15# red label for spinnerbaits & cranks. i've been very satisfied with both.
I think the manufacturers have learned how to make fluoro more forgiving without losing it's clarity, or abrasion resistance. That's why a new fluoro shootout would be welcome, at least for me.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:02 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:48 am
I'd like to see a new shoot-out on FC as well. I wonder if things have changed or that there are new players on the market since the last one though.
I’d love to read it but a legit shootout becomes more difficult by the day. It might take a year to complete as is. And even if it could be done more quickly, which we all know it can’t, the moment it became complete would be the moment it became obsolete anyway. New options are available every time we blink. I do, however, feel an in depth review of whatever line could be beneficial. From time to time.
PEACE

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Maybe just interviews with some of the materials engineers who design the different fluoros, to see what has changed in the last 10 years.

Shaft
Angler
Angler

Post by Shaft » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am

I’d love to see a flouro shootout more than anything! The line reveiws are how I found this site to begin with. With the lack of line reviews, I’ve pretty much quit visiting this site. You can’t trust what sponsored pros and manifactures say about their products. Not sure how many top pros I’ve heard talk about how low stretch their flouro is. Most flouro’s have so much stretch that I can’t stand to fish with them. I started using shooter because of this site alone! Please do a flourocarbon shootout. At this point, I don’t even care how much detail the test goes into.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 am

"Perhaps no single review in recent TackleTour history has garnered as much attention and received as much comment as our March 2007 article comparing some of the more popular and well known fluorocarbon lines on the market today." TT
Kinda seems like a no brainer. Of course, no brainer is right up my alley. :lol:

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:56 am

Long overdue TT!

I’d be thrilled just to see the same tests run with additional new fluorocarbon lines to compare.

I’d love to see the % elastic elongation and % plastic deformation in a lot more lines.