Daiwa J Braid x8 Grand

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa J Braid x8 Grand

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:37 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Strewth wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Strewth wrote:The new 13-strand Sufix 131 is a very nice braid, but expensive. The 16-strand Gosen braid is also outstanding.
I haven't seen either in the U.S.
Strange these braids are not available in the US. Easy to source in Oz:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com.au/line ... D%5B0%5D=1

https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/pro ... 0yds_16617

Both are super smooth and round and hold a great FG knot for a leader. Have used the Gosen on large barramundi with good results, but have yet to test the 131 in rough country on big fish.
I would have to refinance my home to afford these :shock:
Anglers Warehouse in Australia has it for $45 US plus some pretty serious shipping costs, I’m guessing. It’ll probably be on sale in the US by next summer or fall for probably $30ish. Worth spooling up a reel or two to try it out

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Again I'm not testing actual line strength but testing the knot and line as if I would fish with it so it has a real world application for my reference.
The remaining Diawa braid lines came in the mail. So quick line strength pull test. Well after removing the spools from the packages and to my findings I cannot tell the difference between the J-Braid x8 or the J-Braid Grand x8. Now I was under the impression that the Grand would be more coarse in texture. Well I can almost confirm that, being such thin threads. It also seems like the Grand will ribbon out more or it appears to me that the spools I got seems to exhibit this more so in comparing to equivalent J-Braid x8. When I pinch the lines and push together to check how tightly weaved the braided strands are, I found that it was much easier to get the strands to separate on the J-Braid Grand x8 vs standard J Braid x8.

The package talks about IZANAS fiber which use to be Dyneema trademark name. So I found out that there are two grades SK60 and SK71. SK71 is the stronger of the two.

Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6# knot break 8# 4 oz
Diawa J-Braid x8 .13 mm 8# knot break 11# 9 oz
Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 13#

Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .06mm 6# knot break 6# 4 oz
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .13 mm 8# knot break 10# 12 oz
Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 16# 14 oz

I am surprised at the strength of this line. The 6# label wasn't as strong as I had expected. The 8# was strong, but compared to J-Braid x8, it was weaker. The 10# has a much higher break strength and I'm totally impressed. Overall, multi strand carrier means that the failure of one strand is more likely. I'd figure getting that small in diameter, one would also see more line breakage.
Noted that these ASSO braid is made with SK71 but are only 4 strands weave.
ASSO Micro Finish braid .08 mm 10# knot break 8# 4 oz. Mfg claim break of 13.2#
ASSO Micro Finish braid .10 mm 12# knot break 9# 12 oz. Mfg claim break of 16.5#
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 pm

I got some grey 20# for use with my medium glass composite cranking setup. So far I really like the way it casts. Looks good, too. Let's hope the abrasion resistance is there.

This is the way.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 pm

I should be getting a spool of 20# Grand in the coming days. I'll post my experience in the coming weeks.
BTW- Anyone compare this to Samurai Braid, another pricey braid with lovers and haters.