Water Absorption

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Water Absorption

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 pm

I was reading some threads in another forum recently. Someone asked for Braid suggestions,of course,the thread went for many pages. The thing that grabbed my attention was when someone said they didn’t like a particular line,they mentioned that it absorbs water... I am a bit confused,I never gave that any thought..doesnt all Braid absorb water?
"That went out witj Ceramic hammers"

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Water Absorption

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:20 pm

The material doesn't absorb water, but the gaps in the weave carry it back to the reel.
This is the way.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Exactly! Water will penetrate into the weave with all braids. Even braids which are billed as hydrophobic will absorb some water after a couple of hours of steady use. It is barely noticeable with 20lb and under, but becomes more noticeable the heavier you go. Try using Sufix 832 in 30lbs & up on a cold windy day without gloves!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Not just water but every kind of debris you can imagine. Plant parts, dirt, everything is dragged back up into the reel. I have to clean them every day and we see some nasty stuff too. Have to use an ultra sonic cleaner and brushes and solvents too.

The larger the braid line is, the more it can carry back into the reel.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Cold weather...the spray from the cast or the water drops from the reel spool....did I say cold. Let's get ready for ice fishing.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish