Stren Super Braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Stren Super Braid

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:42 am

Fifteen years ago+- I bought some Stren Super Braid, when it first came out, because it was supposed to stay round.
It did, and even though it lost most of it's green color pretty quickly, it has stayed strong and soft feeling for all these years.
While I cut off 6" when I retie, I haven't had noticeable fraying on the heavier lines. I have 50 and 65# that is still really strong, and I have switched it from one reel to the next as I've switched gear. I have found the 20# frayed enough to make me take it off my reels, but even the 30# is still good.
At the time I bought it, I just took it for granted that such a great line would be around forever, so I didn't bother to research it at that time. Silly me.
Of course, the original packaging and spool are long gone, and I haven't been able to find out enough information online about it's construction/makeup to look for those things in the newer braids on the market today.
I figure someone here will know, so goes.
My question is what was it made out of, and why is it so long lasting and strong?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stren Super Braid

Post by slipperybob » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm

LOL, I still got some but no longer the packaging. If I remember correctly, it was Dyneema.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 pm

slipperybob wrote:LOL, I still got some but no longer the packaging. If I remember correctly, it was Dyneema.
That is my memory, too, but it's been soooo long, I can't be sure.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 am

I have a box. It touts: "Only Stren Super Braid features Advanced Microbond Technology. This exclusive AMT compact construction results in a smooth, round, small diameter braid,,,," There is no mention of what it is made of, so I assume it's Dyneema subjected to some kind of treatment (coating? heat?) to make it "microbond."

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Bronzeye wrote:I have a box. It touts: "Only Stren Super Braid features Advanced Microbond Technology. This exclusive AMT compact construction results in a smooth, round, small diameter braid,,,," There is no mention of what it is made of, so I assume it's Dyneema subjected to some kind of treatment (coating? heat?) to make it "microbond."
I remember it was touted as the only braid that stayed round when it first came out.
It was/is some great line.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:22 am

I have a jerkbait setup with 10+ year old 20lb Stren Super Braid.
After two "near the rod" breakoffs, I finally wised up and reversed the braid, so the unused part of the line is now on top.
Not only is the buried braid just like new, but I found out I had a ton of that unused braid on that Gen 1 Abu Premier reel's deep spool.
Good to know. If I ever need some more, I can take the braid off again, increase the backing, put the braid back on until the spool is full, and then use the excess on another reel. There's at least another reel's worth still available.
Did I mention I was cheap? :lol: :lol: :lol:

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm

found an old package...it says line is made of Spectra fibers.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:43 pm

slipperybob wrote:found an old package...it says line is made of Spectra fibers.
Thanks.