Break offs

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Break offs

Post by bassm1n » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:15 am

Recently, I have been having a problem with line breaking down in the spool at about the end of the cast area or a little deeper. I am using Sunline FC Sniper 16 or Tatsu 15. The TATSU was new and broke the first day out. I did get an earlier backlish though. On the sunline it is several months old but I only get out a few days a month but the rods sit in my unheated garage and does not get any sunlight. Any ideas.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Break offs

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:54 am

I broke new 20# Tatsu twice on the hookset a few yrs back and it cost me $600 in a local tourney. Set the hook on a 4# fish and a 6# fish and POP! It broke back up from the knot a couple feet both times, and we lost the tourney by 8#. It was shortline pitching to visible beds, and my reel had carbontex drag lubed with Cal's grease, plus the drag wasn't locked down. I quit flourocarbon entirely after that. If the "best" line out there breaks that easily, no way will I trust anything besides braid or a good co-polymer after that. Up to that point, I had broken off only a few times in my(at that point) 40 yrs on the planet. I have never broken P-line CXX, even down to 8# test, so that and Sufix Siege is what I use now, if not using braid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 am

I'm wondering if you are getting line kinks or pinching while spooling your reels..? I like to use filler spool holders like the one from plano and feed the line through all the guides of the rod when I'm spooling line on my reels... this seems to work for me at least

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 am

Say goodbye to fluoro. Biggest garbage sales pitch in fishing IMO.
<")))><{

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Say goodbye to fluoro. Biggest garbage sales pitch in fishing IMO.
The more time that ticks and the more days that go by, the more I find myself using braid.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am

I've been using Tatsu and Assassin exclusively for 3 years now. No problems other than abrasion issues after a big fish has been digging in the rocks. I'm the opposite, I can't do braid any more. Used it exclusively for several years, now I hate the stuff. I don't use the two fluoros I mentioned in anything over 12 lb test. The Assassin is ridiculously strong

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:04 am

If you backlash and pull the line hard to get it out, you cause the line to kink where it pull into a tight v. Not good for fluoro, that's where it's breaking.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 am

With fluoro, you really have to be careful when getting out those backlashes. Take time to find each little loop that is holding down the line. Don't pull too hard against a tangle because fluorocarbon gets damaged when it rubs itself. Sometimes I even spit on the spool out of sheer rage and it helps lubricate the line, making it easier to pull free.

If you're in a hurry, set it aside and, if possible, pick up a combo with which you can fish the same bait if that's what was working before you broke down in bird's nest city.

Lastly, sometimes that backlash just isn't coming out and you have to accept it's time to respool. That's why I stick with Invizx and Abrazx, because I think they're excellent lines and it doesn't hurt as much when I have to change it out.

Don't give up on it, though. While braid certainly has its strengths, it's not a line for every situation. With an extra fast rod and a t-rig fluoro really rules the roost IMO, especially when it's windy.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Say goodbye to fluoro. Biggest garbage sales pitch in fishing IMO.
100% agree. No way can anything in crystal form be flexible. Same principle with soft plastics that are loaded with salt. That's why those baits damage so easily. On the other side of the spectrum, I've hung up with 15# CXX and couldnt get it to break, even wrapping it around my gloved hands and pulling with everything I had. I eventually had to cut it at water level. It just wouldnt break. Try that even with #25 flouro of your choice.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

Good this topic been originated, recently had couple break offs on Tatsu 10lb, the Tatsu spool was sitting in my tackle closet for 18months. Probably won't buy Tatsu again and switch back to Sniper or YGK F1.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:06 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
100% agree. No way can anything in crystal form be flexible. Same principle with soft plastics that are loaded with salt. That's why those baits damage so easily. On the other side of the spectrum, I've hung up with 15# CXX and couldnt get it to break, even wrapping it around my gloved hands and pulling with everything I had. I eventually had to cut it at water level. It just wouldnt break. Try that even with #25 flouro of your choice.
Two things:

15# CXX is more like 20# fluoro.

I've been hung up with 15# Invizx and had a similar experience recently.

I think that, like all tackle, it really just depends on how you treat your line.
This is the way.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks guys. Actually was thinking of going back to Big Game. Used it for years and never had any issues or felt it was not senditive enough. Even used by the guide I regular fish with on Florida and he swears by it.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am

Never had an issue with Shooter, but have had mystery breakoffs on every fluoro line Seaguar makes. Shooter is all I buy anymore and also works great for leaders since it’s the toughest line available. Just have to get used to it’s stiffness if you are spooling it on a reel. I only spool up 50yds at a time and fish it with big heavy jigs. If I’m fishing around hard cover, there’s no way I’m going mono over Shooter.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 am

When do you use sniper instead of shooter.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

bassm1n wrote:When do you use sniper instead of shooter.
Use the search window for this forum, or just scroll back a few pages. This gets covered regularly.