Break offs

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Break offs

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 pm

poisonokie wrote:With fluoro, you really have to be careful when getting out those backlashes. Take time to find each little loop that is holding down the line. Don't pull too hard against a tangle because fluorocarbon gets damaged when it rubs itself. Sometimes I even spit on the spool out of sheer rage and it helps lubricate the line, making it easier to pull free.

If you're in a hurry, set it aside and, if possible, pick up a combo with which you can fish the same bait if that's what was working before you broke down in bird's nest city.

Lastly, sometimes that backlash just isn't coming out and you have to accept it's time to respool. That's why I stick with Invizx and Abrazx, because I think they're excellent lines and it doesn't hurt as much when I have to change it out.

Don't give up on it, though. While braid certainly has its strengths, it's not a line for every situation. With an extra fast rod and a t-rig fluoro really rules the roost IMO, especially when it's windy.
Spit on the spool out of sheer rage :evil:!!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm

bassm1n wrote:Thanks guys. Actually was thinking of going back to Big Game. Used it for years and never had any issues or felt it was not senditive enough. Even used by the guide I regular fish with on Florida and he swears by it.
Big Game is good stuff, but a little on the stretchy side for me. Try the Stren Magnathin, pay attention to the line diameter ratings.
<")))><{

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:50 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Say goodbye to fluoro. Biggest garbage sales pitch in fishing IMO.
100% agree. No way can anything in crystal form be flexible. Same principle with soft plastics that are loaded with salt. That's why those baits damage so easily. On the other side of the spectrum, I've hung up with 15# CXX and couldnt get it to break, even wrapping it around my gloved hands and pulling with everything I had. I eventually had to cut it at water level. It just wouldnt break. Try that even with #25 flouro of your choice.
I've had similar experiences with 12 lb Assassin. Likely not to the point you experienced, but it really is a great fluoro option imo. Sounds like you're done with fluorocarbon, but if you ever decide to go with it again, try Assassin. I have zero complaints, though I'm careful with the line for the most part. I think a lot of these fluoro nightmares come from borderline careless / wreckless behavior - people who want it to be and behave like something it's not. I hate the sound of braid, the feel of braid, fishing it in the wind, and tying knots with it. Otherwise, it's pretty much dummy proof for those who only fish a tight line most of the time.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:44 am

I did get an earlier backlish though.
- Bingo. Kinks in the line cased by tight turns in knots or backlashes can severly weaken mono and fluorocarbon.

Things you can do (and some of these you may not want to hear): Find a line that handles kinks better (clue: Lines with better knot strength), a larger diameter line (more brute strength), or try spinning tackle.