Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:31 pm

What can you guys tell me about Gamma Touch and Edge? I've been running Sunline Assassin for a while now, but lost a giant PB smallie on it recently. Had her at my fingertips when she snapped the line. She'd been digging hard in the rocks. I'm looking for a fluoro with better abrasion resistance, and the reviews on these lines are off the charts. How are the handling and management conditions compared to Assassin, Sniper and Tatsu? Would be using lighter lb test like 6 or 8. Usually use 10, but these lines are thicker diameter. Slack line sensitivity is extremely important also.
Also interested in hearing about Gamma CoPoly. I'd want to use it exclusively for topwater. Just curious about the characteristics of this line.

MikeK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

Post by MikeK » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 pm

I've used Gamma Polyflex in 4# and 6#. Not bad line but it has more stretch and lower breaking strength than PLine CXX in the same sizes. For the 4# I've measured the Gamma as 0.008" and the PLine as 0.0075" diameter.

No experience with the fluorocarbon.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Gamma is great. I don't think that Polyflex is as good as the old stuff. Can't remember the name now. Better than average all around. I don't recall any specific superiority in one area.

Touch is like your a average soft fluorocarbon line. Again I don't recall anything that wow me, but nothing about it that would make me dislike it either.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 am

Seems like no one is ever brave enough to try it, but I swear by HiSeas fluorocarbon. I use the Quattro fluoro, it looks pink/purple/grey/clear, but they list it as 4 other colors. It is much thicker than comparable lines, their 10lb is like Sunline +12lb. They make a clear version available in 6lb though I think, just hard to find. Just a random brand I found to be great, I think the dyed version is a bit more limp though.

Tatsu has always been great from my light experience with it, and a few friends have used it extensively with good results. I caught a PB largemouth on the green Sunline FC Sniper, but to be honest I haven't ever used Shooter or Sunline's highest end products. Would like to order some of the multi colored green Shooter or BMS (orange/pink segments) from Japan for finesse fishing.

To answer more of what you asked though, I think Gamma is a bit more stiff like I hear Shooter is. I ordered the 100yard cheaper spool from TW, 10lb was thick as 15lb InvizX or around 14lb Sunline. Stronger than both, but even being heavier rated line I think the Sunline/Seaguar matched the 10lb Gamma's manageability.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:28 am

When I use Edge it's only on leaders. It's significantly thicker than Seaguar AbrazX at the same rated strength, but is far tougher. Seems that they rate it lower than it breaks at. Tough as nails, very abrasion resistant.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:00 pm

edge is expensive however if line diameter isn’t a factor and you do a lot of flipping or just need the toughest nastiest flours out there. gamma !! It’s pretty brutal especially if your abusive with line it’s waaaay more forgiving.

Skunkdagain
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Skunkdagain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I’ve tried just about every FC line out there.....Seaguar Red Label, Invizx, Abrazx, Tatsu, PLine FC, PLine Tactical, as well as Sunline Sniper. None of these overly impressed me (hate away you Tatsu lovers).

Went into my local mom and pop and they had Gamma Edge available. On a whim, I paid the $30 for the 100yd spool to try it out. I absolutely love this stuff. BEST FC line out in my opinion. I’ve finally settled on Gamma Edge as my line of choice. Soft, supple, and strong as all heck. Doesn’t seem to have memory issues either.

High price, but well worth it. Now, all those “other” lines seem lower quality.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Skunkdagain wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:47 pm
I’ve tried just about every FC line out there.....Seaguar Red Label, Invizx, Abrazx, Tatsu, PLine FC, PLine Tactical, as well as Sunline Sniper. None of these overly impressed me (hate away you Tatsu lovers).

Went into my local mom and pop and they had Gamma Edge available. On a whim, I paid the $30 for the 100yd spool to try it out. I absolutely love this stuff. BEST FC line out in my opinion. I’ve finally settled on Gamma Edge as my line of choice. Soft, supple, and strong as all heck. Doesn’t seem to have memory issues either.

High price, but well worth it. Now, all those “other” lines seem lower quality.
Yep. Gamma Touch is excellent as well. I'm also using ygk g-soul fluoro, and I'm digging it quite a bit.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 am
Seems like no one is ever brave enough to try it, but I swear by HiSeas fluorocarbon.
What do you mean? ... We've tried it and it's very good... http://tackletour.com/reviewhiseasflurocarbon.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:35 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Seems like no one is ever brave enough to try it, but I swear by HiSeas fluorocarbon.
What do you mean? ... We've tried it and it's very good... http://tackletour.com/reviewhiseasflurocarbon.html
08/17/29...can you let me know if Milwaukee wins a World Series by then? :lol: 8-)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm
Cal wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
08/17/29...can you let me know if Milwaukee wins a World Series by then? :lol: 8-)
:lol: :lol: ... Zander enters the dates when he publishes.. that typo is his fault 😂
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:52 pm
Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:47 pm
Cal wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
:lol: :lol: ... Zander enters the dates when he publishes.. that typo is his fault 😂
Lol.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am

Gamma edge is a great flouro and holds up well to zebras on the great lakes when smallmouth fishing. I tried touch and was not impressed with the durability or sensitivity of that line. Likewise their mono while being a decent line had too much stretch for my liking. I stick to Pline CXX for my mono needs like topwaters or run braid with a mono leader.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am

Gamma edge is a great flouro and holds up well to zebras on the great lakes when smallmouth fishing. I tried touch and was not impressed with the durability or sensitivity of that line. Likewise their mono while being a decent line had too much stretch for my liking. I stick to Pline CXX for my mono needs like topwaters or run braid with a mono leader.

Chasing Brown
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Chasing Brown » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:43 pm

I have used a bunch of different leader lines and Gamma Edge is the most abrasion-resistant line I have found. 6 lb Edge is my leader line of choice for the smallie fishing I do. The 6 lb Edge has the diameter of many other lines’ 8 lb. I use straight 7 lb Touch for 3“-4” swimbaits on ball head jigs. The line is very manageable and strong. I have caught numerous stray carp and laketrout which fight harder than any smallmouth I will catch.