Sunline Shooter Finesse Question

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sunline Shooter Finesse Question

Post by scrapiron » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

I tried the 7# on a spinning reel (Daiwa Luvias 2500H with a 2506H spool) and had the worst line twisting I've ever experienced.

I spooled it on the right way (thanks interwebz) and applied KVD conditioner many times during the process. I went out the next day and after about 3-6 casts, BAM...so much line twisting. So I cut off the Ned Rig, carefully took out the worst of it, then un spooled the rest of the line out into the water behind me as I paddled away. I wound it up carefully and thought, hey I bet that did it! Time to go home, so didn't use it any more.

Two days later, I'm out, new Ned rig on... 3 casts, BAM, worse line twisting. Did the same thing (let it out behind me) then reeled it in. Didn't use it again. When I got home, took off the FC and put it back on the spool it came on. I put on some Sufix 832 10# braid for the next trip. :)

So:
1. What did I do wrong?
2. How do I prevent it in the future?
3. Can I re-use the Sunline again or is it suitable just for leader at this point?

Thanks-

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sunline Shooter Finesse Question

Post by bpettus2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:53 am

Sunline makes some of the best lines in the game . I think you either got a bad batch that might of sat on shelf longer then needed . Or something but don’t give up it’s great line .

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Welcome to stiff, low stretch fluorocarbon :big grin:
Perhaps a better line for taut, bottom contact presentations. If needing a fluoro for finesse / slack line duties, check out Seaguar Tatsu, or Sunline Assassin. I use both, and both are great.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 am

I've been using Shooter 7# for a couple of years. I don't know if it's the finesse subtype. Haven't had major problems that I can recall.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 am

Line twist is just part of the game with spinning reels. All it takes is a little crosswind or a slightly misaligned lure and you get twist. The Shooter in 7 lb. probably has the least stretch of any fuoro, making it the most sensitive. The harder material will also make twist more noticeable. It will need more attention. You will have to cast without your worm or drag it behind the boat more often. I regularly fish the 7 lb. on 2500 size Daiwa reels with success, but it's not for everyone. A 3000 size reel would help. I usually fish it when the drop shot bite is real subtle and money is on the line.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 am

I used 7lb Green FC Sniper on a Stradic Ci4+2500 with no issues. Caught my personal best with a 3.3" Keitech on that exact setup actually. I never really had bad line twist, and the actual reason I kept straight fluorocarbon on the reel was where I didn't have to continually tie leaders while dropshotting, a technique I primarily use. Later I bought some 8lb InvizX on sale, years after my green 7lb Sunline wore out. I used this line heavily, didn't really get bad line twist, but didn't like it because it wasn't very strong. It never broke fighting a fish, but pulling a snag too hard taught me quickly the Sunline FC Sniper was MUCH more resilient.

Either way, the InvizX had to come off after a few seasons, so I used some 20lb Maxcuatro that came with my Chronarch MGL. After that I realized braid was better on spinning, regardless. Now after that I don't mind taking time to tie an extra leader. Even though I still don't feel I had too much line twist or too many wind knots, I definitely still had more line management issues with the fluorocarbon than I ever did the braid. This lead me to switch to generally braid only on spinning, unless I get extra setups or have a need for straight fluorocarbon spinning, I probably will not ever go back to it.

All this being said, I always used "Reel Magic" line conditioner on the spinning/fluoro setups, and pretty regularly. I also spooled very carefully, ALWAYS flipped the bail by hand (which REALLY helps), checked for windknots, etc. Just was more trouble than it was worth so I went back to braid with a rod's length leader.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations everyone.

I got some Tatsu 8# and have been using that for the last couple of weeks. So far line twist is minimal- much less than the Shooter but more than using braid. It is noticeable more "stretchy" than the Shooter. I can see the difference between the two lines in manageability- Shooter is definitely 'harder' and not as supple as the Tatsu. Both cast about the same, which is to say very good.

I use KVD's L&L on the line the night before I go out.

The advantages of braid on spinning are apparent- it's almost 'set and forget it' with maintenance; it's sensitive, and it's strength to weight is impressive. And yet, I have in my mind I gotta use FC on my finesse spinning setup. Well, I dropped some $$# on both the Shooter and Tatsu and my wallet won't let it sit on the shelf. LOL.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:22 am

I am trying to make myself love 7lb Sniper on my 2500 size spinning reels and it has been tough so far. What really helps is walking the line out and re-spooling it under light tension. I do this every 3-4 trips and it really seems to help. I also use plumbers tape to fill up between 1/2 and 3/4 of my spool, leaving maybe a bomb-cast plus 25% more floro on the spool. I also use it for DS and by the time the line get's annoyingly twisted it's usually time to replace it due to length. I am way more happy about "wasting" 80y of line then 120y, so it gets me to change it out more often.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:58 pm

It never hurts to feather the line on the cast, close the bail by hand, and pull it taut before reeling in slack to avoid spooling loops in the loose line onto the spool, especially when it's windy and when fishing slack line bottom contact techniques, jerkbaits, poppers, and walkers.
This is the way.