Sunline Xplasma Asegai

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sunline Xplasma Asegai

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am

Anyone get there hands on this braid yet?

I really want to try it out, I tried the Sunline TX1 and it was the worst braid I have ever used and I have tried a lot.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Sunline Xplasma Asegai

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:35 am

Interested as well. Not a fan of braid but the specs look good and has me tempted to pull the trigger and try it. The new Stuter braid looks promising also.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I find it curious that after using "the worst braid I have ever used" that you want to try another from the same maker. Just saying.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:52 pm

timinmo wrote:I find it curious that after using "the worst braid I have ever used" that you want to try another from the same maker. Just saying.
That's why I haven't ordered any yet.
Check the reviews on the TX1, it really was horrible stuff.

But I do use a lot of sunline products, I love the fluorocarbon for leader.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 pm

I have the 16lb on my MB Whipsnake for drop shotting. Very thin but wiry IMO but actually surprised by the way it handles on my Daiwa Luvias 2505H. Only few trips out and only used once the jig bite as slowed and so far so good. Tying a fluoro leader can be challenging but the knot comes out clean and strong. I will probably stick with Daiwa Samurai 20lb next time around. I will try to get some up close pics of the line shortly.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Bronzeback, I was just kidding you, no harm intended. I certainly like their fluoro also. Experimentation is what TT is all about.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:46 am

timinmo wrote:I find it curious that after using "the worst braid I have ever used" that you want to try another from the same maker. Just saying.
The bigger line companies make so many products to cover as many of the possible scenarios as possible that the odds say that they are going to get at least one line right. The TX-1 is not very good, but SX-1 and FX-2 are awesome braids. I fish Sunline fluoros and monos exclusively. I don't care for most Seaguar products, but I'm not afraid to try their, or any brand of products, if I hear that the line qualities are what I am looking for. Even when I had a line sponsor, I was willing to try other products. I don't suffer from FOMO, but I spend so much time fishing that I want to make the most of my experience by using what I feel are the best products. There are a whole lot of fishing line and lure companies that have only one or two products in their vast lineups that make up the bulk of their sales. This tells you a whole lot about expecting a company to get every product right for everyone.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:39 am

I got some ordered :big grin:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Phippy wrote:I have the 16lb on my MB Whipsnake for drop shotting. Very thin but wiry IMO but actually surprised by the way it handles on my Daiwa Luvias 2505H. Only few trips out and only used once the jig bite as slowed and so far so good. Tying a fluoro leader can be challenging but the knot comes out clean and strong. I will probably stick with Daiwa Samurai 20lb next time around. I will try to get some up close pics of the line shortly.
I used the 18lb today and it is wiry, I like that though.

It is slick, I didn't notice any dye coming, it casts well and doesn't pick up water, no problems with a FG knot, I will usually
have a few problems tying a FG knot on slick brand new line at first but it was surprising.

Its 110% better then the TX1 braid, I really like this braid so far, will see how it brakes in.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 pm

It’s not like the TX and PEx8 at all? Those lines frayed so easily.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 pm

Good to know sunline is back in your good graces of braid

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:28 pm

After few more outings mine seems to be soften up some becoming manageable not that is was all that bad before. Looks like Sunline as a winner on its hands.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am

MediumHeavy wrote:It’s not like the TX and PEx8 at all? Those lines frayed so easily.
I've only used it twice now but unlike the TX braid there is not a fiber out of place.

I could get the TX braid to fray just from getting it snagged on a fingernail, the Xplasm Asegai is very tight woven and
is hard to get to fray even after cutting with braid scissors.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Good to know! Might have to try this one.

And yeah, I could get the TX1 and PEx8 to fray just by looking at them wrong.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Yumeya sent me a sample. I think he is a member on here. Only got about 22ft of line so I was able to do one ABS(actual breaking strength test), one FG knot test, and a Relix Knot(FG knot variation). I weight 10 ft of line and use the fix density of spectra to deduce the actual line diameter.

Line is about the same thickness as most USA labeled 10 lbs test. I feel that is actually thinner than Nanofil 10 lbs but the mass of the line tells me otherwise. Nevertheless, when blind folded, I can still pick out Nanofil 10 lbs by feel. Nanofil feels a bit thicker and a little more slippery. Both line is of course very smooth and wiry when new. When it comes to thin line, I prefer line that is wiry and smooth since it handles better on both spinning and casting reel.

Not going to post any picture since I don't have the time to resize my picture size to 1996 resolution before I can upload to tackletour.

ABS 25 lbs
FG knot 20 lbs
Line diameter .0102 inch (listed as .0088 inch on the box.

Conclusion : Stiff, wiry, and smooth. Much smoother than the original Fireline and as smooth as the new Fireline 8 but much better FG knot strength(although Fireline 8 has better ABS). If this line is durable and doesn't lose the coating and stiffness quickly, it's a winner.

Link to Youtube test of the line :

https://youtu.be/PBSL71OIeBA

Anybody know how to embed it so it'll show here instead of opening a youtube window?