Sunline Xplasma Asegai

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sunline Xplasma Asegai

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:38 am

Any updates now that folks have had more time on this line?
I'm looking to spool up several trout reels and am always looking to try something different.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Any updates now that folks have had more time on this line?
I'm looking to spool up several trout reels and am always looking to try something different.
I'm still using it, I also added 10lb test to a few of my spinning rods for trout.
Its good stuff, but I also love P-line TCB 8 in yellow and now that they finally have it in 10lb (yellow) its hard to
not buy, I sent P-line a email a couple years ago telling them that is what I wanted and they listened LOL.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Still using it in 16, 18, and 30lb. No issues yet, although the light green color lines are fading. No fading at all with the dark green 30lb so far.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 am

I just ordered the 30lb for one of my metaniums. I wanted the powerpro super slick v2 but they were sold out of my size/color preference. Figured I’d give the Sunline a try since I love their other lines. Will try to report back in a month or so.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 am
I just ordered the 30lb for one of my metaniums. I wanted the powerpro super slick v2 but they were sold out of my size/color preference. Figured I’d give the Sunline a try since I love their other lines. Will try to report back in a month or so.
Any updates on the Xplasma?
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 am

1nutinthewater wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 pm
jerkbait22 wrote:
Yes I can provide an update. Been fishing the 30lb on a metanium paired with Poison Adrean 6'11 Medium +. It casts nice and I haven't noticed any fading. The only issue I've been having is that on a hookset it really digs into itself in the spool. After catching a fish I have to be careful on the next cast. After about a month of fishing there was a piece that was very kinked and it ended up turning into a knot in the spool which I had to cut out.

It's been a while since I've used braid so I don't know if this is common with other similar sized braided lines. I'd try going up to 40lb to see if it's better, but they don't make that size and the next strength up is 50lb.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 am
1nutinthewater wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 pm
jerkbait22 wrote:
Yes I can provide an update. Been fishing the 30lb on a metanium paired with Poison Adrean 6'11 Medium +. It casts nice and I haven't noticed any fading. The only issue I've been having is that on a hookset it really digs into itself in the spool. After catching a fish I have to be careful on the next cast. After about a month of fishing there was a piece that was very kinked and it ended up turning into a knot in the spool which I had to cut out.

It's been a while since I've used braid so I don't know if this is common with other similar sized braided lines. I'd try going up to 40lb to see if it's better, but they don't make that size and the next strength up is 50lb.
I've been using 16lb on my Metaniums without any problems....

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Still using the 16lb and the 30, and still liking it.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm

I've had 16 lb on my Steez CT SV for the season, and the coating has caused some dig in issues. I regularly use 10 - 15 lb braid on Daiwa & Shimano casting reels with no dig in issues. Just an observation. There's some fading on the light green, but I've had zero break offs. It's nice not having any tip wrap with this braid. It would probably work better on a spinning reel.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Schlag wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm
I've had 16 lb on my Steez CT SV for the season, and the coating has caused some dig in issues. I regularly use 10 - 15 lb braid on Daiwa & Shimano casting reels with no dig in issues. Just an observation. There's some fading on the light green, but I've had zero break offs. It's nice not having any tip wrap with this braid. It would probably work better on a spinning reel.
What braid in that test are you using that doesn’t dig
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 am

falcon wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:00 pm
Schlag wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm
What braid in that test are you using that doesn’t dig
Nothing that special: Power Pro, Maxima 8, Sufix 832 & Sunline SX1. Maxima is probably my favorite so far, since I get far less tip wrap with this braid. I have Berkley Fireline 8 on a spinning reel that I'm liking. I would like to try it on my PX68, and see how it performs. My next braid purchase will be PLine TCB.

Most of the time I'm using 10 lb - 12 lb with jerkbaits (up to 110), flukes, tubes, and ned on the river for big trout and smallmouth. I'm currently using three pixy versions, Alphas ASC, & an Aldabaran BFS XG, and I've never had an issue with dig in with these reels.

I wasn't a fan of using braid on larger 34 mm spools, like the OG Steez or TDZ. Learned my lesson a long time ago about braid, spinnerbaits and wind do not mix. Dig in would occur more often, even with 30 lb braid. I mostly top shot some fluorocarbon over braid with these larger spools. I seem to prefer fluoro when fishing lakes and braid with a fluoro leader on the river.

I'm using the Steez CT SV w/ the 16 lb Xplasma Asegai on an OG 1610ML Poison Adrena. It's mainly my jerkbait rod. I plan on keeping the Xplasma Asegai on the reel for the balance of the season. The dig in hasn't been horrible, but it happens enough that it's annoying.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Schlag wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 am
My next braid purchase will be PLine TCB.
Get the TCB 8, its a damn good line IMO, one of my favorites..

Larsey
Angler
Angler

Post by Larsey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:57 am

Does the line retain some stiffness after prolonged use?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Larsey wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:57 am
Does the line retain some stiffness after prolonged use?
It does to a point, meaning it keeps its stiffness longer then most braids.

I've noticed all braided lines eventually become very soft, some just keep their structure a bit longer, I its
due to how tight the weave is and how long the coating lasts.

I just ordered some 8lb to put on a spinning reel, if I like it I will order a 600 yard spool.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:04 pm

Got the 8lb today, its probably the thinnest braid I have used.

It says .006" and I would believe it, when compared to other brands in the same measurements the Xplasma is
a lot thinner.

I will use it for a couple months and if its all good I will then buy 600 yards of the 8lb or 10lb