Sunline Xplasma Asegai

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sunline Xplasma Asegai

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 am

Thanks for that info. The size is interesting, as that’s actually between most brands 20-30lb sizes. I was thinking about trying some of the light green but wanted 30lb. Looks like they only make it up to 18lb, but if the diameter is bigger than stated I might try it.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:40 am

I purchased 600 yards of the 16lb bright green stuff :big grin:

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:39 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Thanks for that info. The size is interesting, as that’s actually between most brands 20-30lb sizes. I was thinking about trying some of the light green but wanted 30lb. Looks like they only make it up to 18lb, but if the diameter is bigger than stated I might try it.
Don't let most manufacturer's label on the box fool you. Most 20 lbs line are labeled .010 inch but they are actually more like .012 inch. Check Paulus site if you don't believe me.

The same for most 10 lbs braid. They are listed at .008 but are closer to .01 inch. Again check Paulus site and you'll see what I mean.

So Sunline Plasma Asegai 18 lbs has the diameter of most 10 lbs braid and breaks like most 10 lbs braid. Which is well over 20 lbs.

So if you're looking for a line that is as thick as most 20 lbs braid, I suggest you give the 30 lbs Xplasma a try since the 18 lbs is as thin as most 10 lbs braid. Xplasma Asegai is similar to fused fireline 8 ultra. So if you are not a fan of stiff and wiry line, you might not like it. Personally, for the thin stuff, I like stiff, wiry and smooth and that is what this line possess.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 am

aquaholik wrote:Xplasma Asegai is similar to fused fireline 8 ultra. So if you are not a fan of stiff and wiry line, you might not like it. Personally, for the thin stuff, I like stiff, wiry and smooth and that is what this line possess.
Regarding the Fireline 8 Ultra, several users have remarked about it’s good slack line sensitivity compared with standard braid. Does Asegai also have similar slack line sensitivity?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:40 am

Just got done testing the 16lbs bright green version. ABS(actual breaking strength-unknotted) is 23.75 lbs. FG knot strength is 18.80 lbs. Line diameter is .0096 in. Not much difference than the 18 lbs version which is expected.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:10 pm

aquaholik wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:So if you're looking for a line that is as thick as most 20 lbs braid, I suggest you give the 30 lbs Xplasma a try since the 18 lbs is as thin as most 10 lbs braid. Xplasma Asegai is similar to fused fireline 8 ultra. So if you are not a fan of stiff and wiry line, you might not like it. Personally, for the thin stuff, I like stiff, wiry and smooth and that is what this line possess.
I believe you, I just must’ve mistaken that it was smaller than listed. I’d get the 30lb, but they don’t seem to make it in 30lb.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:27 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
aquaholik wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:So if you're looking for a line that is as thick as most 20 lbs braid, I suggest you give the 30 lbs Xplasma a try since the 18 lbs is as thin as most 10 lbs braid. Xplasma Asegai is similar to fused fireline 8 ultra. So if you are not a fan of stiff and wiry line, you might not like it. Personally, for the thin stuff, I like stiff, wiry and smooth and that is what this line possess.
I believe you, I just must’ve mistaken that it was smaller than listed. I’d get the 30lb, but they don’t seem to make it in 30lb.

Actually, you tested the 18lb Xplasma at .010” if I’m reading your initial post correctly, and the Paulus site lists 30lb power pro at .011”. So the 18lb Sunline should be fine for me. I’ll probably try some anyway, or wait for the new Power Pro slick.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm seeing .307 mm = .012 in for 30 lbs Power Pro and .330 mm for 30 lbs Power Pro Slick = .0129 in

I'm also seeing that Tackle Warehouse list 30 lbs Asegai for sale.

I tested and got the mass of super slick in 30 lbs to be 22 mg/ft and derived a diameter of .330 mm from it, an exact match to Paulus listed diameter.

For Power Pro 30 lbs, I tested several color of that test and found the diameter to vary from .309 to .325 mm. Paulus listed .307 mm for the sample sent to him. That means my test is within 6% of his sample but my sample is also up to 6% stronger than his sample.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:13 pm

I don’t see the light green in 30lb?

Also, can you link the Paulus site?

Thanks for doing these tests, have you done Sunline SX1?

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:58 pm

It seems only dark green is available 30 lbs and up.

Paulus site is now offline. Look at the 360 tuna site. There's a post there and a .png file that has the image that you can zoom in. It has all the lines in one image. Might want to download that to your dropbox or something.

No haven't done the other sunline. Tested the Sunline FX and was not impressed with the S/W ratio.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17 am

Got a chance to try the 30lb yesterday. No fade, and it definitely carries less water back to the reel than the 30lb 832 I was using. Compared to the 16lb, the 30lb is not quite as stiff & wiry, and has a different texture, closer to that of “normal” braid. I was only able to spool 70 yds onto a ‘13 Met, which tells me that it’s actual diameter is up in the .37mm range, much greater than the .296mm claimed by Sunline. I’m using it for 1/2 oz jigs on an 873 NRX. Liking it so far.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am

I have a Presso casting rod and reel that I tried 12# SX1 and it casted just OK casting 1/16 oz.Rapala, so decided to try 8# test. So I bought some 8# Xplasma Asegai. This stuff is really small, sewing thread small, a little hard to tie knots. Looks like green silt on the reel. It really performs, increased the distance over the 12# test and make me believe I can cast even lighter baits on my little baitcaster. Put some on my UL spinning rod. Sticking with the SX1 on my other spinning rigs for now, but when I ready for new line?

Ceasar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ceasar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 pm

What is about Paulus site?

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 am

Got a chance to use the 18lb with 3/8 oz jigs, and the 16lb with 3/16 oz shakey heads this week. Very pleased with these lines, definite improvement over the 10, 15, and 20lb yellow 832 lines I was using. None of that sticky coating, and the light green color stays on the line and is just as visible as the yellow. I can’t comment on abrasion resistance as I always fish with fluoro leader material. Dig-in with the 16lb in a Core 51 seems no worse than with 10lb Sufix. Consider me a convert!

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

wilddog66 wrote:Got a chance to use the 18lb with 3/8 oz jigs, and the 16lb with 3/16 oz shakey heads this week. Very pleased with these lines, definite improvement over the 10, 15, and 20lb yellow 832 lines I was using. None of that sticky coating, and the light green color stays on the line and is just as visible as the yellow. I can’t comment on abrasion resistance as I always fish with fluoro leader material. Dig-in with the 16lb in a Core 51 seems no worse than with 10lb Sufix. Consider me a convert!
I've been using it for a couple months now and it gets a bit dirty over time, you will notice the green all over the
line guide and in that area.