Braid with leader for crankbaits

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Braid with leader for crankbaits

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 pm

I use strait braid to my crankbait, this is the only rod I do this with, the rest I use a leader.

Does anyone use braid with a leader on there crankbait rods?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid with leader for crankbaits

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:36 pm

I use only braid with fc leader in every fishing except pike. There have to be titanium leader.
My leaders are quite thick, 48lb. Just to protect for pike teeth. Braid i use is 10-20lb.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm

I used to be a straight FC guy but, I tried braid to FC leader and...I love it. Feel the bottom so much better and get solid hookset 25ft down on long line.

I went out about 2 weeks ago and still haven't edited the video I did reviewing/talking about it.
Last edited by Hobie-Wan Kenobi on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Does anyone use braid with a leader on there crankbait rods?
No. I go straight braid to the lures. I never use a leader. No reason to where I fish. One of the most common reasons I always hear is the fish are afraid of braid. Not where I fish. I have watched small bass chase the line and peck at it trying to eat it. No fear in them for the braid line.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:52 pm

ccass wrote:I used to be a straight FC guy but, I tried braid to FC leader and...I love it. Feel the bottom so much better and get solid houses 25ft down on long line.

I went out about 2 weeks ago and still haven't edited the video I did reviewing/talking about it.
I have converted one Zillion TWS to braid (with BFS spool) and my older Type R Tatula has 50lb now. I'm starting to wonder the same, sold a guy my Tatula HD and he TRASHED the 15lb Invizx on it. Made me sick and then he text and said how are you using that line??? Just makes me think, might should be using straight 20lb and 30lb for finesse swimbaits...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:50 am

I also use braid for my crankbaits. Usually 30lb 832 to a 14-20lb leader depending on what depth I want it to run. I use a softer rod than Id use with straight fluoro and have no problem with losing fish. I never go straight braid as I've seen it spook fish several times. Line passed over fish before the lure and watched them spook. No reason not to use a leader, IMO it keeps the braid from tangling hooks if you ever have to rip the crank for any reason.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:...... it keeps the braid from tangling hooks if you ever have to rip the crank for any reason.
The primary reason I use a leader on any treble hook bait. Cuts down the tangle enormously, especially if you use actual leader line which is generally pretty stiff line.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:31 am

For crankbaits I use:
a) straight braid in and/or around weeds
b) braid w/leader in and/or around rocks
This has been my successful formula for 20 (+/-) years. What I learned a very long time ago is that the key to using braid with moving baits is a properly set (loose) drag.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:00 pm

How long of a leader are you guys using?

I'm gonna try about 6' of 10lb using a fg knot.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:How long of a leader are you guys using?

I'm gonna try about 6' of 10lb using a fg knot.
My formula (as was recommended to me) is twice the rod length which equates to a 16-foot leader in this case. My reason for doing so is that I can fish a full day (while constantly re-tying) and NOT having to tie on a new leader which I absolutely hate having to do on the boat.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Do the crankbaits with braid run deeper or higher in the water column vs fluorocarbon, let say 10lb fluorocarbon vs 30lb braid?

One of the reasons why all people who work/fish in that industry suggest to use fluorocarbon, because it sinks and that helps the crankbait go deeper. At another point I think the braid usually thinner, 20lb braid is around 0.16mm to 0.18mm in diameter, and that alone should get the crankbait deeper vs fluorocarbon vs 10lb fluorocarbon which is 0.26mm in diameter.

P.S. Wish I could do some testing in Olympic size pool.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm

For leader length, I make it slightly longer than the rod, maybe a foot or less(reel knot to tip, unroll line one rotation past rod butt, clip line). That way when I have the lure hanging from the tip ready to cast, the knot is right in front of the reel. Longer leaders as mentioned above allow you to change lures more often without having to tie a new leader.

In my experience fishing with someone using fluoro and me braid, braid definitely allowed the lure to dive deeper, even with a leader. I've used down to 20lb braid to get cranks really deep on occasion.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Nope. Straight braid and glass rods for DD crank work. I use non braid for the shallower stuff in and around rocks and timber.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:39 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I also use braid for my crankbaits. Usually 30lb 832 to a 14-20lb leader depending on what depth I want it to run. I use a softer rod than Id use with straight fluoro and have no problem with losing fish. I never go straight braid as I've seen it spook fish several times. Line passed over fish before the lure and watched them spook. No reason not to use a leader, IMO it keeps the braid from tangling hooks if you ever have to rip the crank for any reason.
^ +1

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:47 pm

What lb braid is everyone using if not already mentioned?

I've been using viscous 20lb no fade braid for a year now and it really does not fade LOL, but its way thicker then it says. I got some 20lb pline tcb8 today and its way thinner...

I've been using TCB8 for years now and its never let me down