Backing for braid on spinning reels?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Backing for braid on spinning reels?

Post by joeim8 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Hello,

Do you guys recommend using mono backing or electrical tape as a backing when spooling up a spinning reel with braid?

How should I apply the electrical tape if I decide to go this route, and will an arbor knot work when tying braid to the spool directly?

Thanks

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Backing for braid on spinning reels?

Post by Canga- » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:45 pm

for me it depends on the spool depth, on a deep spool, i use cheap mono (the cajun red stuff works good, stands out against the braid). for shallow spools i use electrical tape, just tie my knot directly to the spool, then a wrap of tape, then continue spooling the line. works great and have had no issues with slippage.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:40 am

Braid as backing line is always the best choice, because it lighter than mono or fluorocarbon.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 am

All depends on what you want to accomplish. In simplicity, yes mono for backing to fill spool and prevent line slipping.

If just to prevent line from slipping then some tape, rubber band, or anything to provide that nonslip will work.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm

If using electrical tape, just use enough to cover the spool with 1 layer. I haven't tried using an arbor knot, but have just tied a uni knot and haven't had any issues. As long as the braid has something to grab onto, you'll be fine.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:41 am

I always use cheap mono, I will have to try just electrical tape and see the difference.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:57 am

I don’t back anything what ever I’m using braid floro mono I want the full capacity of that on the spool. I don’t care about weight I don’t want that extra break point in my line

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 am

I always use a short length of mono. Just be sure to cinch the knot down tightly to the spool.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.