Kastking braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Kastking braid

Post by Taxin That Bass » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 am

I have seen a few people on here comment about it being a great value on here, of those who have tried it, what are your thoughts?

I'm particularily interested in two applications:
1) looking to find a more cost effection option over smackdown for spinning rods, right now i run 20lb smack down was was looking to maybe use 15lb kastking kastpro. Basically same diamter and 25% the cost
2) something that basic, holds up and doesn't wind knot for buzz baits, was planning to get power pro or something basic but might try out the kastking super power. I have been trying the samuri and other similar "limp" braids but man if i throw into the wind with anything that grabs the air it catches in the spool and stops the bait dead....drives me off the walls.

If its junk then so be it but thought it was worth a try

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Kastking braid

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Its not junk but probably not gonna have the same characteristics as smackdown. More like affordable powerpro braid

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:38 am

The 9 strand Super kast Kastking braid is softer and smoother stuff, while the original Super power version is rougher and stiffer. It comes down to personal preference.
Great line for the price.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:53 am

If it's stopping the spool dead on the cast, you need a larger diameter braid. Most folks won't go less than 30, to prevent it from digging.

Taxin That Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Taxin That Bass » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:02 am

tywithay wrote:If it's stopping the spool dead on the cast, you need a larger diameter braid. Most folks won't go less than 30, to prevent it from digging.
No its not catching in the spool from being dug in like you might get after snagging on wood or something, its catching during that small amount of backlash that momentarily occurs on your spool when you first launch a cast, with most other lines that backlash occurs briefly and is eliminated while the bait travels through the cast pulling line out. With the really limp braids they are so limp they "catch" or "knot" slightly in that initial back last and stops the cast dead, particularly if casting into the wind or with a bait that likes to grab air. a stiffer line won't catch like that.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 am

I've used the 15 and 30. It's good stuff.
Andy