Best braid for spinning reels?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best braid for spinning reels?

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:55 pm

I'd mention that Sufix Nanobraid should be included in any discussion of top braids for spinning reels.

I began using it in 2 lbs. for ultralight fishing. I'd catch the occasional LMB or catfish deciding to nibble on my small presentations. As of last week, I am now up to a bass just shy of 6 lbs. caught on 2 lbs. braid.

I spooled on some 14 lbs. test, the largest available in this line, on another reel and it has the same diameter as Sufix 832 in 10 lbs. test strength.

My guess is 14 lbs. Nanobraid is likely as strong as most 20+ lbs. braids. Technical details claim it has a much tighter weave, more per unit of length of line. I'd read the material on it over on the Sufix website. Interesting.

Since I have been a 10 lbs. braid main line to an 8 lbs. fluorocarbon leader user on most of my bass rigs, I have swapped over to the Nanobraid in 14 lbs. just to give me the extra strength but at a smaller diameter.

If you fish straight braid, no leader, I'd drop down to 6 lbs. Nanobraid. It'd catch anything and everything you'd likely hook into in fresh water.

Brad

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 pm

I started using Power Pro 8, 10, and 15lb on my spinning reels years ago. After getting used to general braid operating tactics, and leader knots (I use the FG without any problems) I never felt the need to try something else. I never have any issues, and I love using it. All my spinning reels are loaded with Power Pro except for one 4lb and one 6lb ultra light reels that are loaded with McCoys.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:25 pm

I fish Daiwa Jbraid x-8 in 8lb on my Stella and Exist and for the money it’s hard to beat , no loops or knots and I’ve been using it for about 2 seasons. Casts pretty nice and doesn’t hold much water. I would like to try the new Grand , has that awesome gray light color .

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:44 am

Sunline Small Game PE is probably my favorite braid. Super strong and durable gotten many spoons I would have lost back.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Love 832 for all braid needs

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 pm

Vicious No fade is my #1 braid. It lives up to it's name, very thin diameter for poundage. Easy to cast and does not dig in.
Sufix 832 neon lime for my high vis applications.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 pm

PP Super Slick gave me a few wind knots in the higher pound ranges (30-65#).
Sufix 832 has been consistent, but I'm still looking for something better.
I just bought a 20# spool of the new Daiwa J Braid x8 Grand. Hope to try it out in about 2 weeks. I was tempted to buy the Samurai braid but then reminded myself that I only pretend to have money. lol
I'll report back on the JBraid.
Last edited by Reverendo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Reverendo wrote:PP Suoer Slick gave me a few wind knots in the higher pound ranges (30-65#).
Sufix 832 has been consistent, but I'm still looking for something better.
I just bought a 20# spool of the new Daiwa J Braid x8 Grand. Hope to try it out in about 2 weeks. I was tempted to buy the Samurai braid but then reminded myself that I only pretend to have money. lol
I'll report back on the JBraid.
Samurai by far the worst braid I have used as far as wind knots go.