Braid to flouro questions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braid to flouro questions

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Gonna give it a try again. Last time I did braid to flouro I did 20# PP to 10# invisx on spinning gear. The line to leader I used an FG knot and leader to hook a Palomar. I lost a couple big smaillies because of breaks at the hook. I was using a 3ft leader, I guessed that maybe the leader was too short and it would stress the knot out? I want to try the 20# PP and at least 8lb flouro again. What knots do and leader length do you recommend?
Last edited by Obz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid to flouro questions

Post by Inspectorlee » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:29 am

Most guys will suggest that you not use a palomar knot with fluoro line. Many believe the issue is that when a palomar is tied, the line bites into itself and thus creates a weak point, something that isn't a problem with braid but is when using fluorocarbon. I did see one video online that says the palomar know will work if you are careful when tying the palomar and make sure that the double lines are laid side by side. I know it's a bad description but hopefully this video does a better job showing: https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing ... -105346400

With that said, I will say that I've had the palomar knot fail me on fluorocarbon, but accept that it may be user error on my part. I now use a san diego jam knot or a doubled uni-knot for tying on lures. Both knots have served me well and usually only break when I get snagged and am forced to break off. As a sidenote, like you, I also use the FG knot for my connections and when snagged, it's almost always the terminal/lure knot that breaks, not the FG knot.

Edit: Forgot to answer your leader length question. I tend to use a leader that is about the length of the rod, so about 5-6 feet of leader. This is solely because I often retie/swap lures a lot during a typical fishing trip and I dont' want to tie on another section of leader until I go home.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am

Just like inspectorlee mentioned. When tying the palomar knot, make sure the two lines are parallel to each other before tying the overhand knot. I haven't had issues with the palomar knot breaking since I do drop shot a lot and use the palomar knot. The other knot I use is the trilene knot.

For leader length, I usually tie on at least 7-8 feet so I don't need to waste time on the water tying connection knots if I get snagged and need to break my lure/hook off.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Ok so it was more likely the Palomar knot I was tying than the short leader. Gonna give it another go with a longer leader and a flouro specific knot. I always use Palomar with heavier flouro for my jig and Texas rig knots and never had an issue. Maybe the smaller diameter line is more likely to cut itself. Thanks for the feedback guys.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm

I sometimes do have to re-tie the palomar knot though when I'm cinching it down because I do not wet the line enough and it burns the line. Just take your time when tying knots, rather than having to waste more time re-tying it like me :mrgreen:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 am

An FG knot or a Crazy Alberto/Improved Albright are my preferred leader knots. For tying fluoro to the hook, look up the Shaw Grigsby fluoro knot. It's easy to the and is strong.
Last edited by adam lancia on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 am

adam lancia wrote:An FG knot or a Crazy Alberto/Improved Albright are my preferred order knots. For tying fluoro to the hook, look up the Shaw Grigsby fluoro knot. It's easy to the and is strong.
Will do

24 furbits
Angler
Angler

Post by 24 furbits » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:36 am

Albright knot locked for braid to fluoro - trilene knot tightened slowly and lubed - no problems - simple strong
on lighter test braid or nan o fil I do spider hitch or bimini twist to double the line to make things easier

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:53 am

Anybody try a Slim Beauty? That looks strong, easy to tie, like it would sail through small guides, and not get beat up in the process because all the tag ends stick out the back of the knot. That is to say they are angled away from the bait and point toward the reel.

https://www.animatedknots.com/slimbeauty/index.php
This is the way.

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:45 am

I always tie a double uni to connect 2 lines....