Line Diameter true to spec?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
wandyhee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Line Diameter true to spec?

Post by wandyhee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Just curious if anyone of you really did measure diameter of line to see if manufacturer/brand really honor with the spec they put on their product? I also hope by creating this thread, we all could share which brand really meet all line diameter specification and which brand is not. for example below, I've measure this KASTKING SUPERPOWER braided line using digital calliper, measurement I get is 0.165mm which is far from spec they given, 0.09mm

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line Diameter true to spec?

Post by aquaholik » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:03 pm

The answer is probably ZERO in the USA market where braid generally overtest by a factor of 2 or more in the 10 lbs class. Even your measurement is suspect EVEN if your digital caliper is 100% correct. How do you measure the diameter of something that can be flatten? You can move your line in an out of the digital caliper but can you rotate it? Maybe you measured how much it can be flatten and still freely pass thru the caliper?

FYI, most 10 lbs braided rated for the USA market have a diameter between .200 and .250 mm.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line Diameter true to spec?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm

When I received 5lb fins 40g (my favorite all around fw braid probably ever)

I was shocked that it's claim of .004 wasn't close..and came in at .009

I emailed fins..and they use a paint gauge to measure diameters....so I guess whatever they can squeeze in the slot counts lol

I found J braid, suffix maxxima braids are pretty accurate as far as one's i've measured with calipers.

But depending on the cross section there is a variance.