Braid on a Tatula SV TW

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Braid on a Tatula SV TW

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 am

Going to run braid on an SV for the first time. Not a braid fan, bit it is going on a frog combo. Do the SV spools need a mono backing with braid?

TIA.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid on a Tatula SV TW

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Yup. I ran 30lb on the one I had. It took some mono backing. Works really well for frogs. It came a little dry and felt noticeably better after lubing.

I got a video frogging with it and also throwing a variety of lures.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

electrical tape or mono backing would be fine.

mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mokujon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am

I have straight braid with flouro leaders on both my SV TW's and haven't had any issues with either one yet.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Going to run braid on an SV for the first time. Not a braid fan, bit it is going on a frog combo. Do the SV spools need a mono backing with braid?

TIA.
Only reason I'd add backing is to prevent slip. Or reduce the amount of pricey braid.

Usually i just tie an arbor knot and add about 7/8 of a wrap of electrical tape to hold it in place.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Guys buying 500$+ reels and whining braid is espensive! :lol:

Theres small tape bit along almost every braid package. It is enough. No backing anymore. I havent used mono or fluoro for ages.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:30 am

I actually use cheap braid as backing on all of my reels and don’t use any tape or mono to keep it from slipping. I use 50lb 4 strand or whatever isn’t as slickly coated. No slipping that I can tell, just make sure you wind it on tightly.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 am

MediumHeavy wrote:I actually use cheap braid as backing on all of my reels and don’t use any tape or mono to keep it from slipping. I use 50lb 4 strand or whatever isn’t as slickly coated. No slipping that I can tell, just make sure you wind it on tightly.
you are asking for trouble doing that..a little bit of mono backing with a uni knot or arbor knot insures no slippage.
winding braid tight doesn't do anything since braid doesn't stretch.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:37 am

johnD wrote:
MediumHeavy wrote:I actually use cheap braid as backing on all of my reels and don’t use any tape or mono to keep it from slipping. I use 50lb 4 strand or whatever isn’t as slickly coated. No slipping that I can tell, just make sure you wind it on tightly.
you are asking for trouble doing that..a little bit of mono backing with a uni knot or arbor knot insures no slippage.
winding braid tight doesn't do anything since braid doesn't stretch.

I am? I’ve been doing it for a few years and no problems at all.Winding it tightly is so your main line doesn’t dig into the braid backing as much. And, I assume helps it to not slip as easily.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:04 am

I'm not trying to be a dick..just trying to help , mat fishing down here I've seen it slip on the spool with no backing or tape.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:25 pm

johnD wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick..just trying to help , mat fishing down here I've seen it slip on the spool with no backing or tape.
No worries, I just haven’t noticed any slippage or had any issues myself. At least not that I’m aware of. I also don’t punch super heavy cover with extra heavy powered rods. But for average heavy cover pitching, frogging, and swimbaiting up to 1.5oz I haven’t had problems.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:55 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:Going to run braid on an SV for the first time. Not a braid fan, bit it is going on a frog combo. Do the SV spools need a mono backing with braid?

TIA.
Only reason I'd add backing is to prevent slip. Or reduce the amount of pricey braid.

Usually i just tie an arbor knot and add about 7/8 of a wrap of electrical tape to hold it in place.
+1
Never moon a werewolf!