Best stealthy braid for clear water?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Ceasar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best stealthy braid for clear water?

Post by Ceasar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am

I’ve seeing some “clear” braids. Does they worth the money?

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best stealthy braid for clear water?

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:18 pm

I don't think there is a "clear" PE braid. If you're trying to find the "stealthiest" braid, use the absolute thinnest diameter braid you can get away with.

oe

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 pm

The stealthiest braid is the thinnest. Ghost, crystal, etc are just silly names for white.

When brand new they do offer some translucency. But within a few casts they're white.

The most translucent PE line i've seen to date is the new Fireline ultra 8.

If you can imagine jennifer lawrence in a wet Tshirt. It's kind of like that...minus the JLaw.

After use...imagine the Tshirt dried.

Hopefully by the time my vision fails. There will be some cool tech that is crystal clear has no stretch, comes in sinking and floating. And has knot strength 5x that of mono using a clinch knot and can pull a log out of a chipper.
Not saying getting slapped in the face by a PR bobbin from time to time isn't fun.....it's a blast!!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am

Stealthy braid is a bit of an oxymoron. Accepted knowledge is that you want a color that blends best with the surroundings. The lighter colors are best for the surface because they blend with the sky and the darker colors when fishing mats and vegetation because they tend to blend in with the vegetation. The brighter colors are used mostly with leader material.
I think that how much fishing pressure that the fish get, and how tuned into a specific forage the fish are, is as important as the color of your line.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am

braid stealth is about camouflaging it against the background. That's why it's green for green vegetation. Pick brown for muddy waters. If nothing else, get that white/ghost line and a red sharpie...color it red for bloody trail.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 pm

red becomes black at deep depths
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible