Flourocarbon leader

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Flourocarbon leader

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:41 am

Braid to Flourocarbon, what do you use?

I have been using Sunline FC Invisible and its been pretty good but would like a stiffer Flourocarbon for my leader.
Last edited by BRONZEBACK32 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Flourocarbon leader

Post by Farnorth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 am

I think you will find that any fluoro leader material will be superior to line. I used to think they were just selling you less line for more money but having tested for a couple of seasons I am a firm believer that the leaders are more abrasion resistant and stronger at the knot for a given size.

I use Seaguar Grandmax FX in 3 sizes when casting depending on what I am fishing for. I have also started using Berkley Prospec 100% Fluoro Leader when tying spinner rigs for trolling to keep costs down. Both are superior to plain fluoro line IMO.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:03 am

That's what I thought as well, but had a horrible experience using the Sunline leader material. Don't think I caught a fish on it because the line kept breaking. Went back to what I always used, Sunline Shooter in 16-20lb and never have had an issue with it. Stuff, strong and very abrasion resistant. Seaguar leader is good stuff, but usually very expensive for 25-50yds.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm

I've tried about 7 different fluoros as leader for freshwater. More for salt and pelagics.

I've settled on Pline Halo. And have all but found 1 negative.
THe bad....i don't know what it is about the 12lb but 3 spools from 2 different shops. It almost like it wrinkled against itself on the spool. It's not straight and slick like the other pound tests.

Other than that. 4lb 8lb 10lb 17lb 20lb have all performed flawlessly.
It knots both terminally and to braid very well. And most importantly is durable.

I don't know if fluoro is really more durable than mono. But this stuff wears very well.

I'm not using the new tactical....8lb...and i've noticed a tad bit more "scuffin" around the knot area which I never had with the halo.
((I've never used any other pline products other than their crappy aluminum pliers....so I don't know how there other stuff is.))

I tie FG and PR knots...so cutting back too often means having to retie. And I try to avoid retying on the water if possible. Halo really does hold up.

I bottom bounce rock and shale A LOT. So abrasion shows up quick. Found out how non abrasion resistant Tatsu was within 20 minutes.

I wouldn't ever consider buying leader specific material for FW fishing. Not even when steelheading

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:01 am

I've heard good things about Pline Halo, I've used and still use the Pline TCB8 braid in yellow and its pretty good braid.
The aluminum pliers suck LOL, they broke on me.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I've heard good things about Pline Halo, I've used and still use the Pline TCB8 braid in yellow and its pretty good braid.
The aluminum pliers suck LOL, they broke on me.
Haa...mine never broke but i stopped using them because they proved flimsy and couldn't grip hooks.

Amazing how many copies came out of china of the same design. ANd how people gobbled up that crap.

I could take the seargend sportsman plier and twist the Plines in to a pretzel with them..lol

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I use Sunline Super FC Sniper as my leader material. I've also tried PLine Tactical and had no complaints either.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Daiwa J-Braid and Seaguar InvizX or Gamma Edge.