New fireline fused 8 carrier

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New fireline fused 8 carrier

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:24 am

LowRange wrote:tie unis with lots of wraps.
Easier and just as effective to leave a ~1/2" tag end

oe

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 am

ScoobyDoo wrote: It is more sensitive than other braids when tying direct for shallow water bottom bouncing...but how much more sensitivity is really needed.

I've been using original Fireline in tests <=10lb on spinning reels since the mid 1990s. With the exception of NanoFil, I haven't fished another braid that provides as much "slack line" strike detection. I believe this trait is a product of 3/4 braided filaments that are stretched to be nearly parallel to one another then heavily coated to keep that orientation. I'm not confident 8 filaments can be braided then stretched to have the same longitudinal orientation to each other. I'll find slack line strike detection comparisons between this line and the original interesting. Thanks for your reporting.

oe

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote: It is more sensitive than other braids when tying direct for shallow water bottom bouncing...but how much more sensitivity is really needed.

I've been using original Fireline in tests <=10lb on spinning reels since the mid 1990s. With the exception of NanoFil, I haven't fished another braid that provides as much "slack line" strike detection. I believe this trait is a product of 3/4 braided filaments that are stretched to be nearly parallel to one another then heavily coated to keep that orientation. I'm not confident 8 filaments can be braided then stretched to have the same longitudinal orientation to each other. I'll find slack line strike detection comparisons between this line and the original interesting. Thanks for your reporting.

oe
Thats interesting that you bring that up.
And I've been a fireline fan for roughly 15 years as well.
And you are 100% that slack line sensitivity is something that fireline does better than almost every single other braid. Same with the bow due to the line floating and jig sinking.
This new line carries over that characteristic.
((the only slack line sensitive braid i've come accross is fins 40g. It's woven very tightly around the center strands..making it wirery just like fireline.

I fish rivers quite a bit. Mainly for the exercise and scenery. After 30 years of exploring...I've found some amazing waters that nobody else knows about. And in doing so i bottom bounce in current. That slack line sensitivity is very important as well as the body of the line staying off the water's surface on a drift. (something 90% of braids don't do well after they soak in and start holding water.

It is there where I become very accepting of it's knot finickyness...as it's proving to be very durable, sensitive, casts very well.
For the 30$ that it's selling for shipped on amazon (i posted the link in the deals section) I think after now fishing a few different lb tests....that it's worth the price of entry.

If it's durable...i don't mind tying a pr knot to get 90% of it's ABS strength
And it's stiff enough that tying a triple polomar direct isn't a pain in the arse..(some guys may find it easier..but I'm not an avid polomar user..and never have been. (going braid to leader for 20 years mean polomars are useless 99% of the time ((no sense in tying a80- 90% knot in the leader when the join is 60%)

And true to the original fireline...it takes many hours of use for it to break in fishing freshwater....double that if using it on baitcasters. Right out of the package if your not familiar with it. One may think it sucks...even after a day or two...but a few thousand casts later...it softens up...fuzzys a bit...and really starts to perform......the difference is....and i'm no sure if it's because of the torzite guides or whatever the high end ags guides are...but the new Ultra 8 isn't fuzzing in the slightest bit.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Has anyone tried using a FG knot with fireline 8?

You guys got me interested in ordering some in 6lb, but I hope it brakes at a higher strength being at .15mm

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Looked up specs of that line... Come on Berkley - one of the worst lb per diameter ratio, same applies to Berkley fluorocarbon lines.
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline 30lb - diameter 0.38mm
Sunline Siglon PEx4 Braided Line 30lb - diameter 0.223mm

And as Berkley says - that line simply outperforms the competition :shock:

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Cracker wrote: Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline 30lb - diameter 0.38mm
Your sarcasm is noted... please let us know how much of the 0.38mm is dyneema and how much of it is coating.

oe

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:11 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:
Cracker wrote: Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline 30lb - diameter 0.38mm
Your sarcasm is noted... please let us know how much of the 0.38mm is dyneema and how much of it is coating.
oe
I don't know exact numbers, however Sunline for instance, also uses a coating.
Anyway, I'll always pick a line with a highest strength category in the diameter I'm looking for.

Larsey
Angler
Angler

Post by Larsey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Scobydoo:

Have you measured the actual diameter on the 4lb line?
I know that the old fireline 0,12mm was slightly below 0.20 in real life...

Can you measure it with a caliper? Just measure with the line diagonally in the measuring jaw
so you measures on an as long piece of line as possible, that gives a good indication of how much
the line builds on the spool...

I liked the old type fireline crystal 0,12 when it was new, but i thought it frayed too easely.
Also, the old fireline was like a flat spiral in shape, is the new ultra 8 rounder?

Best regards Larsey

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Cracker wrote:Looked up specs of that line... Come on Berkley - one of the worst lb per diameter ratio, same applies to Berkley fluorocarbon lines.
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Superline 30lb - diameter 0.38mm

And as Berkley says - that line simply outperforms the competition :shock:
It's actually one of the stronger lines in terms of ABS as was the original. The diameters are about the same as the old.
14lb has an abs right around 40lbs. And the best line to line join knot I achieved was in the mid 30's

What is the abs of sunline siglon? I think it tests close to it's package rating in terms of ABS.
Which if that's the case. It would be comparable to the 10lb fireline from 20 years ago.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:Has anyone tried using a FG knot with fireline 8?

You guys got me interested in ordering some in 6lb, but I hope it brakes at a higher strength being at .15mm
DOn't expect it to be more than an 80% abs knot.

so figure an fg using 6 to 20lb leader would break at rougly 15lbs as a guess
I think aquaholik did the abs and fg tests on the 6lb.
I have a spool I am going to try in 6 but have had so much fun with the 4. I haven't even opened it yet.

From what i've seen and tested. It's actual break strength is very similar to the original.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Larsey wrote:Scobydoo:

Have you measured the actual diameter on the 4lb line?
I know that the old fireline 0,12mm was slightly below 0.20 in real life...

Can you measure it with a caliper? Just measure with the line diagonally in the measuring jaw
so you measures on an as long piece of line as possible, that gives a good indication of how much
the line builds on the spool...

I liked the old type fireline crystal 0,12 when it was new, but i thought it frayed too easely.
Also, the old fireline was like a flat spiral in shape, is the new ultra 8 rounder?

Best regards Larsey
I did test it. it varies depending on where on the line i measured. I don't know if it is actually a thinner section or I just nabbed a thinner cross section. But it varied by more than 20% (thicker and thinner) which was the case with the original..
Since 99% of braids aren't even close to being round. If that's the case then it's fine. But very hard to tell
Aquaholik said found the same thing with the weird diameters.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:20 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:[Scobydoo:
Sorry for being off topic here but are you still using the fins 40g?
I got 300 yards of yellow (chartreuse) so I hope its all good, I have heard of a few issues with fraying and separating...

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:37 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
I got 300 yards of yellow (chartreuse) so I hope its all good, I have heard of a few issues with fraying and separating...
I took it off my daily driver stella to use the ultra 8. I still love the stuff.

I spooled a steez sv tws with the left over 5lb I had. And love it on that reel as well.

My buddy DennySnook on SOL has had massive issues as well as Jblair another SOLer. I was fishing with Blair and witnessed it turning to crap on the water. Yet two years and many thousands of casts and it never even showed any signs of fraying or wear.

The issues i've seen are all very similar. Though i have not experienced a single one. No clue why. SO to me it's the best braid going. And worth every penny. But to others. I can see how it could be seen as the biggest rip off on the market.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
I took it off my daily driver stella to use the ultra 8. I still love the stuff.

I spooled a steez sv tws with the left over 5lb I had. And love it on that reel as well.

My buddy DennySnook on SOL has had massive issues as well as Jblair another SOLer. I was fishing with Blair and witnessed it turning to crap on the water. Yet two years and many thousands of casts and it never even showed any signs of fraying or wear.

The issues i've seen are all very similar. Though i have not experienced a single one. No clue why. SO to me it's the best braid going. And worth every penny. But to others. I can see how it could be seen as the biggest rip off on the market.
Maybe they use some kind of line conditioner that affects it's performance.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:43 pm

mark poulson wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:

Maybe they use some kind of line conditioner that affects it's performance.

Hmmmm....interesting thought..My friend J blair did or has used line conditioners on his braids. (he was using samurai on his other setup.....sustain glx (the fins was on a stella fi nrx)

I'll ask Dennysnook if he used a conditioner.

I've noticed on my line there were 3 green "spots" that almost look like glue blobs permeating the braid...Jblair's line had quite a few. We assumed they were "welds" to keep the inner core stationary. It's an assumption but it's weird I only had 3 in a 300 yard spool and he had a bunch in 50 yards.