New fireline fused 8 carrier

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New fireline fused 8 carrier

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Since this is an ongoing type thing.

I've now started to get some fuzzyness in the last 6 feet or so of line. So I guess it will happen with this stuff.

It has also gotten a bit noisier.

Not as bad as the original..but nothing at all like nanofil.

Still good stuff.. I'd say the 4lb test is probably the best choice for most freshwater trout and bass fishing. Using 6 to 12lb test leaders

It's tough and strong. KNots are a bit finicky still. Fished an alberto knot for the first time in awhile with it. And it didn't break in my hands like when I tested a bunch when it was new. SO maybe when all that waxy crap disappears..it bites better.
Who knows....
Been fising the same PR knot for the past 20-30 hours and it started getting a bit too sketchy to be tossing the fancy japaneezium plugs

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:53 am

as a running update.

Fished the 14lb quite a bit this spring so far for stripers.
And this spring has been epic. If you know where to be and put your time in....usually meaning calling it quits at 2 to 4 am...
conditions have been pretty snotty as well...wading out 100 + yards on flats in heavy winds and mid 30's temps

Lots of fish in the teens to 30's some lucky enough to crack 40 and this last week one was weighed in at 59 pounds.

I had the 14lb spooled on a 10k stella sw. and had been tossing plugs ranging from 1ounce sp minnows and redfins up to 4 ounce grs, or black labels.

I tied to a 40lb fluor leader using a pr knot....and when I inpected it today..i was shocked to see while it took on the color of the bay...nary a fiber was out of place....I had loaned the setup to someone on days I fished a black hole conventional paired to a lexa 400 hd spooled with 65lb braid...and even after someone else made repeated casts...and caught a bunch...it still stayed fuzz free.
I cut back about 10' but it probably didn't need to.

I had some fuzzing with a different spool of 14 as well as 4 but not bad at all. (guys in the salt that use original fireline know when it gets fuzzy it means it's about broken in :) they like it :) )

Only thinkg i don't like about it is knots....I'll only use a double polomar or PR knot with it ..to get it at or above 30lbs knotted break strength.

And it's held up beautifully so far with no complaints this spring.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Great line! I use 6# for trout and 20# for steel head. Zero problems- does not fray- palomar holds fantastic. After flipping between mono and braid for years I am finally happy with just one line!
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 am

Fished the 6lb on a steez sv tws and an aldebaran bfs
Wow....I really dig this stuff on a baitcaster.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Fished the 6lb on a steez sv tws and an aldebaran bfs
Ditto. Use it on my Steez A with a Megabass IS spool. No fluffing so far after months of use around oyster covered rocks. No problems with FG knot either.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri May 18, 2018 7:13 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:Fished the 6lb on a steez sv tws and an aldebaran bfs
You get the best of both worlds. Mono like behavior on the cast without the stickiness of thin braid but zero stretch and fantastic slack line sensitivity. Granted is not as smooth as Nanofil but it frays much less. But seriously, try 12-14 lbs Nanofil when you want a little more strength. It behaves like 6lbs Trilene XL on there without all that stretch. Killer sensitivity on Senko setup and it coils with a little bit of memory just like good old mono.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 am

I've been keeping up with this thread's updates as it moves along. I tried the original fireline crystal in 10lb last fall chasing reds on a spinner and was very impressed with the casting.
I'm interested in trying this on my shimano dc casting reels...one for general bass fishing and the other for general inshore, as the last several posts have me interested. I don't have this to buy locally, so i'll have to buy online. What size would you guys recommend me try on either?
Currently have maxquatro 30 on my casting reels and don't like it all that much...mainly from a line management context...so thin and wispy...

appreciate the suggestions...

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun May 27, 2018 5:47 am

I put on the new 8 strand Fireline 20lb on an Abu Premier a month ago. It was very stiff for a day or two, but has been breaking in nicely throwing spinnerbaits. Closest braid to mono casting attributes I've used... I like it.

oe

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:48 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:I put on the new 8 strand Fireline 20lb on an Abu Premier a month ago. It was very stiff for a day or two, but has been breaking in nicely throwing spinnerbaits. Closest braid to mono casting attributes I've used... I like it.

oe
How are you liking the Abu Premier? Is the 8 Strand Fireline more like a conventional braid or the superline style braids? Been using 6lb Sufix Nanobraid and really like it. Considering trying something new on my wife's Premier/my shaky head setup when the 832 gets worn. Would you still suggest the 10-12 Nanofil over it?

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
OkobojiEagle wrote:I put on the new 8 strand Fireline 20lb on an Abu Premier a month ago. It was very stiff for a day or two, but has been breaking in nicely throwing spinnerbaits. Closest braid to mono casting attributes I've used... I like it.

oe
How are you liking the Abu Premier? Is the 8 Strand Fireline more like a conventional braid or the superline style braids? Been using 6lb Sufix Nanobraid and really like it. Considering trying something new on my wife's Premier/my shaky head setup when the 832 gets worn. Would you still suggest the 10-12 Nanofil over it?
2nd gen Premier is my favorite "do anything" reel. As stated earlier in the thread, this line is much stiffer than most (if not all) of the other PE lines on the market. I don't remember suggesting NanoFil. I used 8 & 10lb NanoFil for a year back when it was introduced, but went back to original Fireline. I found the NanoFil coating wore with use and casting distance became the same as Fireline.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

oe
2nd gen Premier is my favorite "do anything" reel. As stated earlier in the thread, this line is much stiffer than most (if not all) of the other PE lines on the market. I don't remember suggesting NanoFil. I used 8 & 10lb NanoFil for a year back when it was introduced, but went back to original Fireline. I found the NanoFil coating wore with use and casting distance became the same as Fireline.
Don't know why I put that "still suggest" in there, should have been just "suggest". Either way that is nice to know, almost bought 6lb Nanofil over the Sufix Nanobraid. I think the Nanobraid is closer to a conventional braid than that weird flat, slick feel of Nanofil...

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I'm thinking about trying the 20 lb for deep cranking. It's probably a long shot, but does anyone use it for this purpose?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 pm

I just ordered some Berkley X9 to test out in 20lb.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I just ordered some Berkley X9 to test out in 20lb.
We need a gofundme account for line testing.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:04 am

aquaholik wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I just ordered some Berkley X9 to test out in 20lb.
We need a gofundme account for line testing.
Agreed :big grin: