Braided lines for a Large Spinning Reel

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braided lines for a Large Spinning Reel

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 am

I'm just wondering what sizes of line people have used on larger spinning reels. I'm setting up a combo for dock fishing around a lake that has very nasty cover, zebra mussels, jagged rocks, and a lot of metal/rebar on the docks. This lake is known for the fish breaking off a lot with all the cover in the lake. I ordered some sufix 832 30lb. to try, hopefully this works well. Looking for that balance between castability and strength.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braided lines for a Large Spinning Reel

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:23 am

lifeofRiley wrote:I'm just wondering what sizes of line people have used on larger spinning reels. I'm setting up a combo for dock fishing around a lake that has very nasty cover, zebra mussels, jagged rocks, and a lot of metal/rebar on the docks. This lake is known for the fish breaking off a lot with all the cover in the lake. I ordered some sufix 832 30lb. to try, hopefully this works well. Looking for that balance between castability and strength.
Honestly, we use 10lb, every now and then I spool up with 15lb or 20lb (always Sufix 832). Sufix 832 is slightly thicker than other lines, and may not cast as far, but I love it for strength and reliability. The longevity of it seems to be better than other braids for me also. 30lb is what I use on a MH baitcaster, so it should definitely be fine on a spinning setup (for strength at least). Our largest spinning setup is a 30 size spinning reel on a 7'6"MH spinning rod (more like a medium) and it is full of 10lb Sufix 832, this is primarily my wife's fishing combo, but she fishes Senko's and smaller jigs/TX rigs in cover fine. In your situation with sharper more jagged cover, I would opt for 15lb or 20lb, but I am sure 30lb will be okay.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 pm

You should be fine with 20-30 lb braid for the larger spinning reels.

I've personally only fished with 15 pound braid on my spinning reels, but that's because they're only 2500 sized reels though on ML and M powered rods.

If you're using a MH spinning rod, then I'd just opt for the 30 pound you've ordered. You could always tie on a more abrasion resistent fluoro leader onto it as well if you're going to be fishing a lot of cover. Try that sunline fluoro structure line, a little bit more expensive, but you won't blow through that line very fast since you'll be using it as a leader.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Stradic 4000 and I run 50# braid. I had 65# braid, but it didn't handle as well in terms of casting.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish