Seaguar Smackdown braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Seaguar Smackdown braid

Post by Rodster14 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:27 am

I'm thinking about getting some 40 lb Smackdown braid to use on my top water rod. I've had some break offs at the knot on casts lately with my Sufix 30 lb 832. I'm using the same Alberto knit I've always used. It may just be time to replace the braid that has been on there a while. I would be interested in an opinion from someone who has used both.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Seaguar Smackdown braid

Post by cortman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 am

Smackdown is smooth but I had a lot of breakoffs with 20 lb. A LOT. 20 and 30 lb. were the worst braid I've ever used. They dug in way more than any other braid, were very thin but broke off easily, and just casted horrible.
I have 65 lb on my frog setup and it's fantastic. I imagine 50 or 40 would be good as well.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am

cortman wrote:Smackdown is smooth but I had a lot of breakoffs with 20 lb. A LOT. 20 and 30 lb. were the worst braid I've ever used. They dug in way more than any other braid, were very thin but broke off easily, and just casted horrible.
I have 65 lb on my frog setup and it's fantastic. I imagine 50 or 40 would be good as well.
Some of the testing aquaholik did on the line will account for the break offs.

Since many 10lb braids when tied using a method that maintains it's un knotted strength...break at upwards of 25 to 30lbs.

Seguar Smackdown 20lb and 30lb is essentially the same as using 8 to 15lb braids from other brands

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Since many 10lb braids when tied using a method that maintains it's un knotted strength...break at upwards of 25 to 30lbs.

Seguar Smackdown 20lb and 30lb is essentially the same as using 8 to 15lb braids from other brands
What you are referring to is the fact that European and Japanese line companies make their tensile strength very very close to what it's listed as. This is due to the fact that many records go by what line test you caught the fish on. And it has to be accurate. Why Seagaur's box listing is not more accurate than it should be is a mystery to me.
So, Powerpro and a lot of other American based line companies tend to have much harder their breaking points than listed on the box.
There have been several studies showing true tensile breaking strengths of all the major companies.
Back on topic again, love Smackdown 65. A lot.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:23 pm

I had enough break offs with the 20 lb to call it quits. I also used the 40 lb and had no problems whatsoever. What these lines did not do is dig. Probably the best handling braid I've ever used. I don't see how it could dig unless you are running a tight drag and trying to free a snag, or perhaps simply not paying attention in some fashion. It's one of the best braided lines I've used across the board of characteristics, except in the lighter tests. For that I prefer Maxima or 832, or better yet Fluorocarbon - except top water.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:...What these lines did not do is dig. Probably the best handling braid I've ever used. I don't see how it could dig unless you are running a tight drag and trying to free a snag...
Agreed.
Except the snag thing, because hands and wraparound things like plier handles or sticks are used to free real snags. Never rod and reel.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:...What these lines did not do is dig. Probably the best handling braid I've ever used. I don't see how it could dig unless you are running a tight drag and trying to free a snag...
Agreed.
Except the snag thing, because hands and wraparound things like plier handles or sticks are used to free real snags. Never rod and reel.
That was kinda my point. People will lock down their drag and pull tight against a snag while using braid. Then they wonder why the line dug into itself.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Agreed.
That was kinda my point. People will lock down their drag and pull tight against a snag while using braid. Then they wonder why the line dug into itself.
How do you get out of snags without doing that? Do you peel a cast's worth of braid off each time that happens?

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Agreed.
Gotcha , same page.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:01 pm

cortman wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Agreed.
How do you get out of snags without doing that? Do you peel a cast's worth of braid off each time that happens?
You have a snag that takes up a "full cast" ...
You have a snag, be it log or what ever . You stop using your rod and reel and pull the LINE with your hands. With spectra hopefully hand and stick, hand and plier handle ...but never snag ( big or bigger) hauling in on rod and reel.
You know it's a F'n snag, why F your gear?

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:26 pm

...or maneuver around the snag behind it was snagged .
Bottom line, rely on your own hands and understanding of physics to free a bait.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 pm

If you feel you must free a snag using your rod and reel with braid -
Loosen your drag, put your thumb over the spool, grab the line with your free hand between the reel and 1st guide. Pull straight back so the rod tip is pointed directly at the snag. Braided line accounts for many, many broken rod tips - zero stretch. None the less, it's user error. Any braided line is going to dig if you button the drag down and start pulling against a snag. A line like Smackdown with a slick outer coating actually digs less than a braid without it such as original power pro.

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:11 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
cortman wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
Agreed.
You have a snag, be it log or what ever . You stop using your rod and reel and pull the LINE with your hands. With spectra hopefully hand and stick, hand and plier handle ...but never snag ( big or bigger) hauling in on rod and reel.
Yeah you're going to have to pull it wrapped around something. Any brand of braid will saw through your hands pretty quick.
Thing for me is not just snags cause braid to dig in- snapping a jig out of thick weeds does it a lot, for instance. Not going to pull the line with my hands there lol.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:56 pm

cortman wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:
cortman wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote: Agreed.
Yeah you're going to have to pull it wrapped around something. Any brand of braid will saw through your hands pretty quick.
Thing for me is not just snags cause braid to dig in- snapping a jig out of thick weeds does it a lot, for instance. Not going to pull the line with my hands there lol.
You will note my bolded statement which agrees with not wanting to pull spectra with my bare hands.
If you are getting bad dig-ins by simply fishing a jig, buy a different brand of line. That's sounds rediculous, unless you are using 6-10 pound test or something crazy like that.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I tried the 15lb and had a lot of break offs, including a 28" brown and a few nice smallies in the 4lb range. I wasn't impressed enough with the line to give it another chance. Looks like 30lb would have been a better fit for me. Gliss seems to have a similar low strength relative to the ratings, but seems to have superior performance if you can find the strength that works for you. Needing a real world 15-17lb strength, I jump to the 40lb Gliss, which still has a thin diameter, superior casting and works for me.