secret for fluoro and spinning

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: secret for fluoro and spinning

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am

Maybe it has been mentioned and I missed it; but, for spinning reels, fluorocarbon and monofilament lines should be wound off of the line spool from the bottom. That is, if the line spool is oriented vertically and not lying flat, it should come off like a softball pitching motion: under-handed. For casting reels, it is the opposite. For braid, it doesn't make a difference unless it is a stiffer version of it.

Anyway, this will put the bias in the same direction.

Line conditioners: I seriously doubt that fluorocarbon soaks it up. More likely, it just puts a film or a coating on the line and gives it a little more weight. The chemical structure of the bonds are super tight for fluorocarbon lines. This is why, too, it makes for a great ice fishing choice: it won't absorb water and freeze.

Fluorocarbon lines are not affected by sunlight nor from anything excepting perhaps extreme heat or cold, nothing yours will ever encounter.

Say! You might try a braid main line, then a very long leader of fluorocarbon, well longer than you'll cast off. Some do this. Pro Angler Aaron Martens comes to mind but many others, too.

And, a pre-stretch might help. Fluorocarbon lines do stretch. But, they tend to stay elongated and don't retract much like monofilament lines.

I agree on spooling it up. Stay well back of the lip, say 1/8th inch.

If it still doesn't work for you, you won't be the first or the last angler who decided to ditch fluoro and just fish mono.

Brad

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:55 pm

The width of the spinning reel spool has a lot to do with how fluorocarbon behaves. I wouldn't use .0105" or thicker fluoro (typical 8 lb. test) on less than a Daiwa 2500 spool.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Line conditioner and then give it a good stretch. The stretching works the best for it. Really settles it down.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm

I like sunline sniper in 7lb but have also used invisline 6lb. I use a shimano stradic fj 2500 and have never had a problem with handling. The 6lb invisline is best handling fluro I have used on spinning gear it just stretches a little more than sniper which can be a good thing for finesse fishing.