Frogs and Flouro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Frogs and Flouro

Post by Obz » Tue May 02, 2017 5:09 pm

How well would 25lb flouro frog and punch? I have 1 combo for both techniques and I don't like braid. I'm wondering if it is too stiff to bomb a frog or to weak too yank 'em from the slop?

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Frogs and Flouro

Post by Obz » Tue May 02, 2017 5:13 pm

I am considering Tatsu

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Personally I wouldn't use anything BUT braid for frogging.

Dug

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm

It will sink and ruin action of the frog. I didn't believe it and tried 12lb Invisx in a pinch with a baby Lucky 13. Looked like a submarine trying to dive...

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 pm

As much as I like fluoro, the sinking thing is real and is a big annoyance to me fishing weedy ponds. If I cast a jig out and let it soak, I start reeling in and I have snot grass and junk draped over my line. Biggest reason why I'll probably be switching to braid for most of my pond fishing stuff.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue May 02, 2017 10:21 pm

The benefits of braid for froggin/punchin just far outweigh ANYTHING that fluoro can possibly bring to the table for those applications IMHO.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 am

You don't need sensitivity for frogs, but you need your line to float and probably cut through vegetation, so I'd use the lightest braid you can get away with (40-50#) and 4 carrier if you can stand the feel of it. Save that Tatsu for flipping.
This is the way.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Wed May 03, 2017 1:58 am

I would consider carrying a spare spool. One with braid and one Fluoro. You're going to have to re-tie anyway.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 03, 2017 9:52 am

I doubt you'll find anyone who won't tell you their landing percentage went way up in heavy vegetation when they switched to braid. It floats and cuts through weeds like a knife. Prior to braid, people used something like 25# Big Game or XT for frogging and flipping/punching. Fluoro sinks and will kill the action of a frog, and it doesn't cut through vegetation like braid. I can't say this for certain, as I don't use fluoro in these circumstances, but I think the other reason fluoro is a bad choice for punching heavy vegetation is that it becomes brittle after being repeatedly pulled and stretched to close to its limits (I've found many fluoros don't recover from being fully stretched and become weaker, especially if this is done repeatedly), so you'll end up having to replace it far more often, which will get really expensive really quickly with Tatsu.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I figured if I frogged heavy veg it wouldn't matter if the line sinks. Sounds like this is unanimous, thanks for the responses. There is a reason braid is the way.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Floating line for frogs. We use mono years ago for rats on Guntersville with not problems, but braid is better.

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am

Braid is a must for frogs. Try carrying a spare spool with braid or flouro to get the best for both applications

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am

Don't do it!!! I can't tell you how many times I've had a tournament partner or buddy throw a frog with mono or fluoro 'in a pinch' because they weren't prepared. $$$$.$$ worth of lost fish later, they have all learned their lesson. I can't even imagine how many fish would be lost, missed, etc. trying to punch with mono or fluoro!!! Don't learn the hard way.

HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Post by HIfisher » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:55 am

Ive had alot of success with buzzing frogs on 16lb FC Sniper specifically Zman and Horny Toads on a Diablo Spec R. Mostly in open water/sparse vegetation. With the rod held high I feel like the weight of fluro enables the frog to run more parallel then when paused with the rod tip down sinks more naturally and can be ran subsurface at a quicker speed. By naturally im mean nose down as if it were a frog swimming down for cover. Typically I dont do this often but fishing on a yak sometimes your limited to the amount of tackle you can bring and using my stiffer Heavy powered rod with braid which is my flipping/hollowbody setup is a joke for casting those light weightless style soft body frogs into the wind or skipping under docks. These are fished with a single ewg style hook as well to me its no different or even the same as fishing a jig. Not to doubt anyones opinions but at you own risk test it out for yourself. Fishing nowadays I feel is all personal preference based on expirences either from yourself or other fellow fishermen, Im the kind of guy who doesnt believe it until i see it. Check out Bamabasses older videos he used fluro for frogs and filmed incredible blowups. Good luck!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm

I can't keep a buzzbait up top with FC line. I can't imagine working a frog on top with #25 FC.