Frogs and Flouro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Frogs and Flouro

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Obz wrote:How well would 25lb flouro frog and punch? I have 1 combo for both techniques and I don't like braid. I'm wondering if it is too stiff to bomb a frog or to weak too yank 'em from the slop?

I learn this while fishing with this old timer or rather watching him learn me something. I used to use braid ( I still do for 1oz tungsten weights) until one day on the water I the OT'er was watching me flip pitch punch.. In the pads I'd get hung up and have to pull towards me all the time. he would tell me leave the braid alone so i grabbed a rod with 20lb mono and I got hung up A LOT less and surprisingly I was still able to get the lure back. I've used floro but for some reason it doesn't hold up like mono ( Copolymer).
I would say depending on your cover stay away from floro but if the fish are line shy and it is clear that may be the route you need to take. Or just use Green mono/copo and go from there.. I brought a reel from a guy on here who sent me a bulk spook of 20lb line and I used it one day out of the blue and what I liked about it was the fact that in dirty water, the florescent line could be seen up top.. If you dont like braid i would not recommend floro at all esp for frog fishing.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Frogs and Flouro

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 pm

goldrod wrote:
Obz wrote:How well would 25lb flouro frog and punch? I have 1 combo for both techniques and I don't like braid. I'm wondering if it is too stiff to bomb a frog or to weak too yank 'em from the slop?

I learn this while fishing with this old timer or rather watching him learn me something. I used to use braid ( I still do for 1oz tungsten weights) until one day on the water I the OT'er was watching me flip pitch punch.. In the pads I'd get hung up and have to pull towards me all the time. he would tell me leave the braid alone so i grabbed a rod with 20lb mono and I got hung up A LOT less and surprisingly I was still able to get the lure back. I've used floro but for some reason it doesn't hold up like mono ( Copolymer).
I would say depending on your cover stay away from floro but if the fish are line shy and it is clear that may be the route you need to take. Or just use Green mono/copo and go from there.. I brought a reel from a guy on here who sent me a bulk spook of 20lb line and I used it one day out of the blue and what I liked about it was the fact that in dirty water, the florescent line could be seen up top.. If you dont like braid i would not recommend floro at all esp for frog fishing.
Interesting I will give it a shot