Sufix Mono Question

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sufix Mono Question

Post by Hulkster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 am

Hi all, so after reading much glowing reviews, I decided to try Sufix mono. my question is the local store near me has the packages that do not appear to be 'G2 precision' wound. ie they are skinny spools like say Trilene. The ones I have seen marked G2 are big fat spools.

is there a difference? or is it marketing hype/gimmick? I can get the 'fat spools' but have to go to a different store. its the same line, but some appear to be wound differently even though they are both 330 yard spools (fat spool vs skinny spool)

what gives?

thanks

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sufix Mono Question

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Sufix Elite and Seige are precision wound, but ProMix isn't. I feel like I've also seen one or two other variants at Dick's, and they weren't precision wound either. I'm a fan: I think it keeps the line in an undamaged condition until you put it on your reel. That said, I use lots of lines that aren't precision wound, and they work OK as well.

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sufix Mono Question

Post by Baik » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 am

What Randingo said. Pro mix does not have g2 winding as well as the Super 21 found at Dick's. Also, I have 3000 yard spools of Elite and those are not g2 wound either, I'd love to see that though. The only big advantage I see to that winding process is it's mush easier to put line on a spinning reel.

Matt