10 pound test Sufix Siege -baitcasting?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

10 pound test Sufix Siege -baitcasting?

Post by Hulkster » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am

Hi all, has anyone tried 10 pound test Sufix Siege mono for all purpose baitcasting? its hard to find in my area (the Elite is everywhere) but my local tackle store does have the Siege 10 pound test in. it would be used on a Curado 200i with an E6X MBR843. Am I better off going up to 12 or is 10 fine? Im thinking the 10 will cast better and be strong enough? not really interested in braid on my curado at this time. I would be throwing mainly 1/2oz crankbaits and blade baits (inline spinners and spinner baits)

Thanks for any advice.

-Hulk

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 10 pound test Sufix Siege -baitcasting?

Post by nikbrewer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:04 am

i have 6 - 12 lbs suffix ( mix of elite and siege) on my bait casters. Love this line. Have 8 lbs siege on my curado 70. Only complaint it its stiff, so it kinda gets loose on the spool sometimes, but if am good with my thumb, its very manageable. Once i tried suffix, its all i use. However, it runs about 1 size bigger then it says. so 8 lbs is the dia of normal 10 lbs, and the size of 12 lbs sunline. SO 8 lbs suffix will probably break around 12 lbs i am betting

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:59 am

I'd never use anything less than 12# for general purpose baitcasting. Admittedly, you'll lose a foot or so of depth on deep diving crankbaits, but spinnerbaits and shallow to mid depth cranks spend too much time in heavy cover for anything like 10# to be the right choice. Topwater also works better with heavier line.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:15 pm

10lb Siege is .012 diameter. In comparison, Sunline Supernatural is .012 for 14lb test. You have to look at diameter to make a good decision. On my general use baitcasters I use .012 to .015 mono and on my spinning set-ups I'll always keep it below .010.

I've been using Siege as an all-around mono on a 6'6" medium fast rod and on a 6'8" MH x-fast to throw anything from 5 and 6" iight texas rigged plastics to 3/8 oz spinner baits and up to 1/2 ounce topwaters, crankbaits and ripbaits. I've been very pleased with the performance. It's nicely abrasion resistant and casts well, especially after its picked up some water. For the price its a very good monofilament and works well on baitcasters. I don't like it on spinning reels because its a bit too stiff.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!