Flouro line as leader options?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DEA
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Flouro line as leader options?

Post by DEA » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 am

Hey fellas, been expanding and exploring new territory the last couple seasons chasing after steelhead in PNW, EC and local waters.
Been using Blue Label Seaguar as leader material but getting a little pricey in 25 and 50yd spools.

Was wondering if the upper end floro lines would work well as another option not to mention longer spool lengths?

Primarily using 8, 10, 12lb as leader in 3-6' lengths.

Top factors are knot strength, abrasion and suppleness for natural river presentations.

Thx!

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Flouro line as leader options?

Post by Randingo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:12 am

I'm sure you'll get a large number of suggestions, but the answer to the basic question is definitely yes, there are plenty of fluoro main lines that will work well as Leader material. Most bass pros use this arrangement with a braided main line and a leader made of fluorocarbon. I can't tell whether you're using spinning/casting equipment or fly gear, but there may be things to consider regardless. There's a thread here about labeled strength vs actual breaking strength, and you need to be aware that some companies (especially Gamma, but many domestic labels) greatly understate the breaking strength on the label. I once had a reel filled with Gamma 14# (they were giving me line because I'd purchased three expensive reels), and they told me the actual breaking strength of the fourteen pound line was 23.25 pounds. Anyway, that's a caveat to consider as you look at lines. Seaguar Tatsu is one of the finest products out there. It isn't particularly fussy about knots, and it's supple with good abrasion resistance. Sunline Shooter is great but extremely different. In the sizes you're talking about, I've not found it stiff, and a quick pull in your hands will take out any coils. It has a hard feeling as opposed to Tatsu, which has a softer outer layer. It's lower stretch, but it requires different knots. It sucks with a Palomar. I'd say use a double line line clinch at a minimum, but if you can get used to it, the double line uni-knot is really the one. The issue there is you'll use up more of your leader every time you retie. There are lots of other great lines out there, including other offerings by Seaguar and Sunline, but these are my recommendations based on what I've used. Oh, and both are accurately labeled.

DEA
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by DEA » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Randingo for the informative reply.

I should have clarified on techniques used, mainly side drifting and float on spinning gear.

I would prefer a line less knot sensitive as I prefer a simple 5 turn uni, but equally capable with palomar, SDJ, Miller, et al.

If left to decide on two, Tatsu and Sniper FC would be tops on my short list.

Keep the info coming!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm

I've had very good results with Scientific Angler Fluorocarbon tippet:
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Scienti ... pet-Spools

It is a little on the stiff side though.

DaveJ

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Just go by line diameter of any top end line and you'll be fine. Just like Randingo said, that #14 gamma has same diameter as #20 Shooter. I personally still use Seaguar leader material because i still have a lot left and they are much cheaper from Japan with 10x more selection.