What makes braid "screech"?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What makes braid "screech"?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 am

It might only be me but, I love the sound of braided line scheeching under heavy load.

Is it the guides, the line or something else.

Are more moderate rods more prone to screeching?

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/VRYUvgcTX5o

Right in the beginning of the video
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What makes braid "screech"?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 am

Pull it tight like a guitar string and rub it along something and it screeches like that. Whistles in the wind too.

DaveJ

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm

There's enough texture to braids that running it across guides under tension is similar to running a bow across a violin string. Smoother braids make noticeably less noise than rougher ones.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Braid has no give / stretch.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Im gonna bump this. I was thinking about braid for punching. I have had sone experiences with braid digging in and have been experimenting for the past couple years. I am bumping this because:

1. I am still intrigued

2. I was thinking of running a 4-carrier instead of an 8-carrier braid for punching, thinking it will "saw" through weeds better.

Would be great to hear what all of your opinions on the matter are.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Im gonna bump this. I was thinking about braid for punching. I have had sone experiences with braid digging in and have been experimenting for the past couple years. I am bumping this because:

1. I am still intrigued

2. I was thinking of running a 4-carrier instead of an 8-carrier braid for punching, thinking it will "saw" through weeds better.

Welcome to the world of the Florida fisherman. With all the vegetation down here & subsequent snags causing braid to dig in from pulling snags loose is very common. The solution is to use heavier pound test. Most guys use 50lb braid as a minimum to help prevent digging in and the subsequent line breaking if you don't clear it before snap casting. Also the 4 carrier braids are better for punching & flipping into the reeds & vegetation. Rougher texture braid is better than smoother braid for fishing in the weeds.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Im gonna bump this. I was thinking about braid for punching. I have had sone experiences with braid digging in and have been experimenting for the past couple years. I am bumping this because:

1. I am still intrigued

1. I am shocked you enjoy that sound, it's clearly awful. :big grin:

2. In my very very poor testing in which I took some 8c J-Braid and 4c Power Pro braid of about the same thickness out into the yard and tied to saw through various soft weeds and plants I learned the following:
A. Neither of them were very good at sawing through anything other then the most soft and thin weeds using pressure anywhere close to what you can get under fishing conditions.
B. The 4 carrier was better then the 8 at sawing even with both kinda sucking at it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:20 pm

dhottle wrote:

1. I am still intrigued

Welcome to the world of the Florida fisherman. With all the vegetation down here & subsequent snags causing braid to dig in from pulling snags loose is very common. The solution is to use heavier pound test. Most guys use 50lb braid as a minimum to help prevent digging in and the subsequent line breaking if you don't clear it before snap casting. Also the 4 carrier braids are better for punching & flipping into the reeds & vegetation. Rougher texture braid is better than smoother braid for fishing in the weeds.
Thanks for the tip. I was using 65lb PowerPro and it seemed to like to dig in. It is really nice but, the digging in can be annoying. I like the screech and it oddly gets me excited when I hear it when I watch a video where someone is punching and the lce sings.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Houndfish wrote:

1. I am still intrigued

1. I am shocked you enjoy that sound, it's clearly awful. :big grin:

2. In my very very poor testing in which I took some 8c J-Braid and 4c Power Pro braid of about the same thickness out into the yard and tied to saw through various soft weeds and plants I learned the following:
A. Neither of them were very good at sawing through anything other then the most soft and thin weeds using pressure anywhere close to what you can get under fishing conditions.
B. The 4 carrier was better then the 8 at sawing even with both kinda sucking at it.
I am mainly dealing with milfoil and other northern vegetation. It is usually thin, densely populated stuff that the sawing would be useful. A lot of time, these thing strimngy weeds hitch a ride with the the fish.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
dhottle wrote:

1. I am still intrigued

Thanks for the tip. I was using 65lb PowerPro and it seemed to like to dig in. It is really nice but, the digging in can be annoying. I like the screech and it oddly gets me excited when I hear it when I watch a video where someone is punching and the line sings.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:10 pm

It depends on the braid and what guides are used.

Some braids are super loud while others I can't hear, I like the quite ones myself...

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 pm

My prefererence is for quieter braid.
I run braid on almost all, if not all, combos.
I've had action cams in the water before where the camera has picked up the 'braid' screen through the guides. Not sure if it'd attract/deter fish.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:09 am

Its probably also because of the material braid is made with.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:12 am

Nothing like it. Music to the ears for us FL fishermen. :-({|=
<")))><{