FC leader tip - go heavy, go loose!

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

FC leader tip - go heavy, go loose!

Post by Prancing Pony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:07 pm

This is a tip I've learnt myself and I also saw another angler do this too. The whole logic behind it is that when fluoro line pops or suffers heavy load, whole area around its breakage is perma-stretched and weakened. This forces you to cut out the damaged area and retie consuming your time or, if you're too lazy, a trophy fish.
You can overcome this by choosing a heavier leader and deliberately tying your leader-to-lure knot weaker so it breaks under load far lighter than the line's lb test. I've found applying fewer wraps(for the knots that requires wraps) to be the most consistent and reliable way of controlling a knot's strength. In this way you will be able to effectively protect your line system from being damaged by heavy load while making your leader even more scratch-proof. It doesn't harm your casting distance and makes damm sure my line always breaks at the hook.
Of course you need to have your knot break at the exact load you want and go through some trial and error before you hit the water. As for me, I attatch 8lb fluoro leader to 6lb braided mainline via a FG knot and my leader-lure knot which is a weakend uni breaks at around 4-5lb.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FC leader tip - go heavy, go loose!

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:01 am

Really? :shock:

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 am

:silly:
PEACE

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 am

Makes sense to me, provided that:

1. The diameter of FC you end up using is not so great as to diminish strikes;
2. You have pretested the braid/leader combo to determine its average break strength with the junction knot, so that your intentionally weakened end knot is just a couple of pounds below that; and
3. The reason you are breaking off so often that you need this measure is unavoidable snagging. (If it were fish breaking off multiple times an hour, I'd rethink my tackle and try to leave fewer of them swimming with a lure in their mouths.)

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:16 am

Bronzeye wrote:Makes sense to me, provided that:

1. The diameter of FC you end up using is not so great as to diminish strikes;
2. You have pretested the braid/leader combo to determine its average break strength with the junction knot, so that your intentionally weakened end knot is just a couple of pounds below that; and
3. The reason you are breaking off so often that you need this measure is unavoidable snagging. (If it were fish breaking off multiple times an hour, I'd rethink my tackle and try to leave fewer of them swimming with a lure in their mouths.)
Exactly.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:21 am

How about just putting split rings of just a slight bit less strength than the rest of the rig. They make them...
That takes out the guess work and you only lose a hook.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 am

My unis fail in the nonbraid at the knot as if the braid is cutting into the nonbraid at the juncture. I'm not sure if bumping up a size or two on the nonbraid would alleviate this. Honestly don't know. I'll have to give it a shot.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 am

LowRange wrote:My unis fail in the nonbraid at the knot as if the braid is cutting into the nonbraid at the juncture. I'm not sure if bumping up a size or two on the nonbraid would alleviate this. Honestly don't know. I'll have to give it a shot.
Forget the uni, learn how to FG or at least albright. Tbh the FG was the only braid to leader knot that I found reliable.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

Mike and Pike wrote:How about just putting split rings of just a slight bit less strength than the rest of the rig. They make them...
That is pretty neat. But I use fairly light tackle and most of the split rings available are way stronger than my line. And sometimes you don't want a split ring dangling at your hook.
With that being said, I think the split ring is a brilliant idea and I'd surely try them if I can get one light enough.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

Prancing Pony wrote:
LowRange wrote:My unis fail in the nonbraid at the knot as if the braid is cutting into the nonbraid at the juncture. I'm not sure if bumping up a size or two on the nonbraid would alleviate this. Honestly don't know. I'll have to give it a shot.
Forget the uni, learn how to FG or at least albright. Tbh the FG was the only braid to leader knot that I found reliable.
Have you tried modified unis? Being extra wraps around hook eyes or on the knot itself. Uni to uni is a very reliable (universal in fact) and bery strong with some modification depending on lines used.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:14 am

Prancing Pony wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:How about just putting split rings of just a slight bit less strength than the rest of the rig. They make them...
That is pretty neat. But I use fairly light tackle and most of the split rings available are way stronger than my line. And sometimes you don't want a split ring dangling at your hook.
With that being said, I think the split ring is a brilliant idea and I'd surely try them if I can get one light enough.
They make split rings designed as 'break aways' , more open, at certain tests. Off hand I forget the brands or I would cite some. Made of a Ti alloy and springy.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am

Mike and Pike wrote:
Prancing Pony wrote:
Have you tried modified unis? Being extra wraps around hook eyes or on the knot itself. Uni to uni is a very reliable (universal in fact) and bery strong with some modification depending on lines used.
Yes actually it once was my go to knot(double wraps 'round the eye) but I've switched to palomar. Less chance of damaging your line while tightening the knot. Doubling the whole uni, I didn't like it for it was too bulky.
The FG knot is just smaller and more reliable than the uni. It is the strongest/smallest leader to braid knot ever known, with the exception of the PR knot which requires a knotter. Once you get the hang of it you will never look back.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:32 am

Palomar is not always doable as you know or I'd use it more. I will give the FG a shot on some stuff.
A lot of my fishing is throwing 1-12oz baits and the ten wraps of a uni is the least bulky or obnoxious thing going on with my rig. :D

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:37 am

Mike and Pike wrote:Palomar is not always doable as you know or I'd use it more. I will give the FG a shot on some stuff.
A lot of my fishing is throwing 1-12oz baits and the ten wraps of a uni is the least bulky or obnoxious thing going on with my rig. :D
Oh I'm sure you'll fall in love with the FG. You can find many instruction videos on Youtube and I strongly recommend the ones using the rod to give the leader some tension. The other method using your fingers was a struggle bus for me.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 am

I "think" I understand the concept here: lose the terminal tackle, in your example, but not the leader line AND the terminal tackle. A sacrifice of a sort!

I do something similar with drop shot rigs when I use a specialized Gamakatsu hook with a swivel. Below it, it has one of those pinch grip attachments so that you can slide a separate line down to the sinker. So, if I am using 8 lbs. leader to the hook itself, I put on 6 test or even less down to the weight/sinker.

I think the theory here is the same: Most of the time with drop shot rigs, it's the weight that gets hung up, so I want the weaker line to break loose and, in my case, save the more expensive Gamy hook and my Roboworm or whatever I am using.

For your application, I'd tie the FG the night before, fish it as long as it holds up. But, if I did break off or found the leader or the mainline near the leader junction knot abraded, I'd just re-tie using an Albright or a Uni-to_Uni knot. It is just easier to tie on a boat or from a kayak.

Still, it would require a new junction knot and a new terminal knot taking time to get it all put back together. So, your point is certainly valid.

Brad