Daiwa J-Braid Opinions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa J-Braid Opinions

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:13 am

Where does Daiwa J-Braid stack up against other braids? Specifically compared to SX1. Looking for any and all opinions in general. Seems like mixed reviews online.

Thanks

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid Opinions

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 am

I've used the 8 and 15 on spinning rods, and the 40 on baitcasters (Both the 8 strand, not the new 4 strand). For the spinning rods, I have nothing but good things to say. It casts and handles great, I've had zero issues with leader knots, and it's very strong. On the baitcasters it's been generally good as well, the only downside I noticed was that it had significantly more tip wrap than normal braid (Since it's so limp). The only general downside I noticed was that it bleeds a decent amount, and fades pretty quick, but I Sharpie most of my braid anyway, so that's not a big deal.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:43 am

Nobody has used both?

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 am

The 4 strand is pretty new so might be awhile before theres a few reports of it.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I have the 30 x8 spooled on a 15 saltiga 4000h used that for a season... very pleased.
I have the 30x 4 that i'm going to try just to see how it casts. Then go back to the x8
I also have 8x 4 that i want to test as well.
Had it not been for Winter storm stella.....My stella would have been throwing it :)

I love the x8 in 8lb. It's handled beautifully for a full season with no surprises. I could reach and handle nice sized albies in big schools along with a few bluefish mixed in. Throwing 1 ounce deadly dicks 100+ yards with a light beach stick.
Then turn around and use the same setup for big river wild browns. throwing 1/8 ounce baits.

Im excited to use the x4 for spinnerbaits and around vegetation.

Color retention has been excellent. Not sure if guides have anything to do with it...but they have been thrown on Torzites and Sic. With alconites on the surf rods.

I've found that with 6 different' spools....it has performed very consistently. I'm pretty picky about lines...I was very skeptical about the cheap price....I haven't been let down or come accross any question marks yet.

And we had a huge run of GIANT bluefish this past spring. As well as some very bass in the 20's and 30's..good stuff

No clue about the sx 1..is that the dual tone blue stuff? I have that on a toro beast sitting next to me? reminds me of original power pro.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 pm

I have used the 6lb, 10lb and 30lb.

Extremely smooth, ties well. Cant comment on abrasion resistance however.

But the major problem i find with it... is that ot holds water on a horribly high level! Which causes horribly short casts...

Regarding bleeding, the green stuff does it well... green dots all around my mates boat in which he wasnt impressed at all about. It fades to a light green and stops fading, but when it get to that point you can twist it and all the fibres unwrap...

Never experienced such wet line rollers on spinning reels and drenched baitcasters.

As soon as it degrades to the point of cutting a length off its all going!

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I bought the 30lb 8 strand J-Braid and I hated it. Using it on my topwater rod for throwing spooks, it would dig in, fluff and backlash every other cast.
To me it was like dental floss and just the act of working a spook caused the line to dig in slightly causing casting issues constantly.
I went back to 832 on that setup and solved that problem.
I'm still sold on the Sufix 832 myself. I'm using the Sunline FX2 60lb on my frogging setup and have been happy with it.
I haven't tried the SX1.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:03 am

I used the 65lb on a couple bait casters for big pike. While it is very strong and holds knots well I also found that it held a ton of water! So much that it took only a couple casts/retrieves to totally drench the reel and my hand. It also bled like crazy.

I've only used Power Pro in lighter tests in the past so my comparison is limited.. But suffice it to say, I will be replacing the J-Braid with something else...anything else.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:24 am

I just received 30lb X4. I will update sometime over the next few months my findings.... If I remember. :lol:

I will be using it on a Irod Crusher 733 paired with a PXR or Pixy. Just haven't decided yet.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 am

Haven't had any experience myself but I keep hearing negative reviews on this line all around the globe.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:36 am

Prancing Pony wrote:Haven't had any experience myself but I keep hearing negative reviews on this line all around the globe.
Yeh i should've trusted these reviews than think to buy $100 worth of line and then be let down on the first few casts...

HORRIBLE STUFF STAY AWAY FROM JBRAID!

Hope that is listened to on the net if people do a search about it.

Nicky
Angler
Angler

Post by Nicky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 am

3 reels spooled with the 30 lb chartreuse used for the last 6 months :
I have no problems with color bleed and everything else has been satisfactory > knots , leader knots etc.
So far so good coming from suffix 832 in either came,white and neon.
Love the suffix and so far the J braid

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Slazmo wrote:I have used the 6lb, 10lb and 30lb.

But the major problem i find with it... is that ot holds water on a horribly high level! Which causes horribly short casts...

Regarding bleeding, the green stuff does it well... green dots all around my mates boat in which he wasnt impressed at all about. It fades to a light green and stops fading, but when it get to that point you can twist it and all the fibres unwrap...

Never experienced such wet line rollers on spinning reels and drenched baitcasters.

One of my pet peeves is how braids retain water. I caught flack from dozens on this site when critiquing braid for holding water.....I was told that Braids don't hold water...braids don't absorb water......Hisss hissss....
That wet spaghetti stickyness kills distance...and when trying to keep the line off the water when working current..whether it be 8lb test in rivers...or 40 to 100lb for giant stripers around bridge pilings. That is a major factor in how I rate a braid....

that said. Only waxy braids...or non dyed/ waxed tightly woven braids are the only ones that do well. that and Gliss/ nanofil/ fireline(when new)
Number 1 being fins 40 g....but While i love the stuff....i can't ever recommend it after seeing first hand how kinked it got on a friends reel (same reel stella fi...recoil guides NRX ...My rods used torzite and AGS sic)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Slazmo wrote:I have used the 6lb, 10lb and 30lb.

One of my pet peeves is how braids retain water. I caught flack from dozens on this site when critiquing braid for holding water.....I was told that Braids don't hold water...braids don't absorb water......Hisss hissss....
That wet spaghetti stickyness kills distance...and when trying to keep the line off the water when working current..whether it be 8lb test in rivers...or 40 to 100lb for giant stripers around bridge pilings. That is a major factor in how I rate a braid....

that said. Only waxy braids...or non dyed/ waxed tightly woven braids are the only ones that do well. that and Gliss/ nanofil/ fireline(when new)
Number 1 being fins 40 g....but While i love the stuff....i can't ever recommend it after seeing first hand how kinked it got on a friends reel (same reel stella fi...recoil guides NRX ...My rods used torzite and AGS sic)

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:24 pm

It doesn't "absorb" as such, however it does collect in the weave via capillary action. A good waterproofing coating would've been a good process to add but the amount of water that comes out of it is insane.

I've just heard from a guy here who's caught ear that Japanese Braid is actually made in China, shipped to Japan in bulk, respooled onto consumer sales packages and thus "made in japan"...

Would make sense with how it performs and how relatively cheap it is.