Best line for buzzbait?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
gambergl1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Best line for buzzbait?

Post by gambergl1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:39 am

What is your line choice for fishing buzzbait?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best line for buzzbait?

Post by njbasscat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:28 am

Braid. On long casts, the lack or stretch helps with a good hook set. Any other topwater, I like nylon.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:07 pm

20lb. mono. Avoid Fluoro like the plague on this. Go with nylon or braid. Try 20lb. big game or xt.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Another vote for braid.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Braid is preferred, sometimes I have to use Fluoro in a pinch if I only have a jig rod and other setups are too light (works okay, definitely not preferred).
I have used 40lb Sufix/Super Slick mainly, sometimes using a topwater rod (which is also not idea, they are more like spinnerbaits for me) I have used 20lb mono as a leader at it doesn't hurt (only about 1 foot leader).
The best part about braid for me is the quick engagement seems to really get the bait on the top and the clacker starts churning quicker because of the jerky non stretch line.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:28 am

Honestly...It's really a personal preference thing if you ask me. Mono, braid, and fluoro all work for throwing buzzbaits, and I have had legitimate success with all three over the years. You are constantly reeling a buzzbait across the surface with maybe some small twitches of the rod tip here and there along the way... The line doesn't really have a chance to sink. If you were to stop a buzzbait with mono, the bait sinks anyways..So to me, it's really a different kind of topwater bait that is excluded from the no fluoro rule.

I would pay more attention to the cover I am fishing and other characteristics of each line type like stretch and abrasion resistance rather than whether or not the line floats and choose from there. This past season I threw buzzbaits in the spring on fluoro around wood with great success and then switched it up to braid when cruising down heavy grass lines in the middle of the summer. As with most things in fishing, there's many different ways to have success fishing the same thing.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 am

njbasscat wrote:Braid. On long casts, the lack or stretch helps with a good hook set. Any other topwater, I like nylon.

x2

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am

30-40# braid for me; otherwise, 17-20# mono. I'm usually throwing buzzbaits in and around vegetation, so the braid helps with that. Theoretically, it also helps on hooksets, particularly at long range, but I never had a lot of difficulties with getting the hook in on a buzzbait when I only threw mono. I should note, I almost never throw anything below 3/8oz when buzzbaiting. If you throw lots of 1/4oz baits in more open water, you probably want to step down the line size.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:36 am

Randingo makes a great point. If you are throwing pond magic and 1/4oz buzzbaits a downsize in line helps get them out there. I am going with 8# yozuri this year for these awkward size buzzbaits that pond and river fish seem to like.